Theatre Technical Specialist- Full Time Position
Northbrook Park District Theatre / Northbrook, IL05.11.21
Theatre Technical Specialist – Full Time Position
Northbrook Park District Theatre
Apply Online: https://bit.ly/2RLUhCn
We are seeking a Theatre Technical Specialist to oversee all aspects of technical theatre for programs and rental groups that utilize the Northbrook Theatre. This position is responsible for hiring, evaluating and supervising technical theatre staff. Position hours may fluctuate based on programs, rentals and special events; evening or weekend work may apply.
Starting at $50,000. Salary commensurate with experience.
Position offers full benefits package and enrollment in the Illinois Municipal Retirement Fund (IMRF).
Duties & Responsibilities
- Oversee the day-to-day technical operations of Northbrook Theatre.
- Supervise the design of scenery, lighting, media and sound for theatrical productions, recitals and Performing Arts special events.
- Serve as Scenic Designer for productions, designing at least half of productions per year.
- Collaborate with Performing Arts Manager and Performing Arts Supervisor to create a schedule for all productions and events.
- Serve as Production Manager by scheduling production meetings with design team(s) and director(s); attend productions.
- Manage program and/or event contracts/agreements based on need with program oversight.
- Manage the scene shop and supervise the construction and/or construct scenery for all theatrical productions.
- Purchase scenery, lighting and sound equipment, ensuring purchases are cost effective and meet the needs of the production.
- Supervise and facilitate use of the theatre space for District programs, meetings and events and rental groups.
- Recruit, hire, train, supervise and evaluate part-time and seasonal staff; create and administer operational/procedural-based trainings for staff and volunteers.
- Prepare the budget for areas of responsibility; execute and maintain operations within budget allotment.
- Provide technical and production-related assistance inside the Leisure Center and other District facilities as needed.
- Provide technical assistance, direction, and staff (as needed) for the Northbrook on Ice production.
- Assist with capital improvement project bids for technical elements at the District by researching and recommending equipment.
- Ensure facility safety equipment inspections are conducted.
- Assist other departments with technical AV needs, sound system upgrades and/or replacement needs.
- Assist and/or attend District special events as required.
- Enforce and communicate safety rules and procedures; address unsafe conditions as appropriate.
- Remain current with trends and innovations for areas of responsibility.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor of Fine Arts degree with major coursework in technical theatre, scene design or lighting design, supplemented by three (3) years of professional experience. Master of Fine Arts preferred.
- Ability to safely operate theatrical stage machinery and equipment and power tools used in scene shop.
- Communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Proficient with Vectorworks.
- Working knowledge of Photoshop or other image editing software.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel).
- Must have experience and/or interest in working with children.
- CPR/AED certification or ability to obtain within 6 months of hire.
- Program and budget management
- Scenery, lighting, sound, and theatrical rigging for professional theatre productions
- Scenic design conceptualization, drafting, drawing, painting, building and execution
- Sound systems and lighting board operations and programming
- Media servers and projector operation
- Wireless microphone system operation
- Software applications, such as for budget management and time and attendance management