Metro Theater Company / St. Louis, MO01.19.23
$35,000 to $38,000, commensurate with experience
BROAD FUNCTION: Participate as a key member of the MTC team in support of the mission and strategic plans of Metro Theater Company, working closely with Production Manager to set specific short and long-term goals and priorities in support of the production department. Work with the Production Manager (PM) and Artistic Administration Coordinator (AAC) to form a self-directed, effective and efficient team covering all aspects of production each season. TD holds primary responsibility for coordinating all technical aspects of productions in the MTC season, including set design and construction, load-in, maintenance and strike of all production technical elements and maintenance of the shop and rehearsal studio space. TD works closely with the PM and AAC to ensure that day-to-day operations of Production are safe, efficient, professional, and budgetarily sound and that all deadlines are met.
- Oversee, implement, maintain and ensure the smooth operation of the technical aspects of all productions for MTC
- With Production Manager, advise Artistic Director and Managing Director on the required technical elements for a show or event, their usage and their estimated cost
- Determine the necessary technical support for lighting, sound, scenic, and rigging necessary for performances in advance of production dates; complete purchases, borrows, or rentals as necessary
- Read, create, and interpret blueprints, drawings and plots, supplementing design work as needed
- Attend required production meetings
- Complete construction of all scenic design elements within the designated time period as determined by the overall production schedule; assess the need for additional carpenters as necessary
- Complete notes and repairs for technical elements during the tech and the run of show
- Maintain inventory and order specialized supplies for MTC’s stock of sound, lighting, shop tools, and rigging.
- Monitor and arrange for the repair and replacement of equipment within budgetary constraints; perform preventive maintenance on equipment, including the company vehicle
- Oversee management of all load-in materials and return of borrowed/rented items
- With PM, ensure smooth and effective communication with rental venues in regard to technical and operational needs
- Stay abreast of new technology and software relative to lighting, audio engineering and scenic design
- With PM, participate in budget planning and management for the department; with PM
and AAC, coordinate and assist with financial tracking and accounting activities as appropriate
- In conjunction with the Production Department, develop the yearlong production calendar detailing all rehearsals, materials acquisition, set build, tech, strike and all othernrelated production tasks
- With PM, develop, implement and monitor policies to ensure a safe work environment in the backstage and stage areas
- With PM, develop and maintain relationships with local designers, builders, & colleges with technical training programs
- With PM, recruit, manage and schedule carpenters and other stagehands/crews for work calls; substitute for stage crews as needed
- Serve as Building Supervisor after normal hours of operation, or during assigned productions and rental events
- With PM, make recommendations to the Managing Director regarding capital purchases of technical equipment
- Ensure that invoices for payment and/or receipts for disbursement are promptly submitted.
- With PM, provide technical support to the MTC Development department for special events as appropriate
- Additional duties as assigned
- Respect, understanding, appreciation, and enthusiasm for the work of Metro Theater Company
- A thorough understanding of all aspects of technical theater and production; familiarity with ADA and OSHA compliance; understanding of USA, IATSE, and other applicable stagehand union agreements a plus.
- Demonstrated skills in people and time management
- Ability to analyze cost and practicality of designs and work within specified budget constraints
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing
- Excellent organizational skills, detail oriented
- Ability to show initiative and work independently and as well as part of a collaborative team
- Comfort with multitasking, and the ability to set and appropriately shift priorities as needed
- Sense of humor
Applications for this position will be accepted until the position is filled. Please submit a re- sume and a brief statement that speaks to what excites you about taking on this role, as well as your approach to equity, diversity, and inclusion. EDI is an important part of MTC’s values, and we ask you to share ways you have brought or hope to bring a commitment to EDI to your work. No “cover letters” necessary. While we ask that resumes be submitted in written form, we invite applicants to submit their statement via a written document, an audio file, or an attachment of or a link to a video recording – whatever form best supports your self-expression to introduce you to us.
Please submit a resume and your statement to email@example.com with the subject “TECHNICAL DIRECTOR” to apply. The MTC team is currently working in a hybrid setting, so phone calls regarding the position may not be received or answered regularly.
Read the full job description, qualifications, benefits, and application instructions linked with this posting on our website. Applications for this position will be accepted until the position is filled.