24th Street Theatre /07.11.19
24th Street Theatre, celebrating its 22nd year of award-winning productions and programs, is seeking experienced Teaching Artists to join our team of excellent and inspiring arts education providers for our in-school and after school programming in the 2019-2020 school year.
24th Street Theatre Vision and Philosophy
We believe that the young people we reach today will grow up to be active participants in their communities who are notable for their generosity, independent thinking, and passion for the arts. We envision a change in the culture of Los Angeles: people animated by a greater sense of inter-connectedness, empathy and humanity. The components of that vision include:
- Bringing families together so that outstanding shared artistic experiences give families substantive topics for conversations.
- Creating consistently great theatre (in both performance and in education) in a compassionate space where we hold a responsibility for the well-being of our community.
- A place where neighborhood residents come for inspiration — the shows, the programs, the kids, the parents. People leave with their hearts full, and, over time, with their lives changed.
- 24th ST is a destination for community gatherings, and the diversity of the community is evident. Because the doors are open it’s clear that everyone is welcome, and sees each other as equal. We function in many ways as a secular church, where people are creating community through shared experiences with powerful theatre.
- Artistically excellent, sophisticated theatre, including Spanish-language work, national and international touring, and deep and powerful teaching in the arts.
- World-class artists who share our vision are strongly connected to the theatre. Our plays don’t look like anything the rest of the theatre world is creating.
- We are recognized as a leader in theatre for young audiences, influencing the field to be more adventurous, more sophisticated, more provocative.
Duties of a 24th Street Teaching Artist:
- Provide consistently excellent programming and lessons to children K-12th grade, on school sites and/or at 24th STreet
- Work with the Executive Director and Artistic Director on curriculum as needed
- Train in the 24th Street branding of Arts Education
- Complete administrative tasks such as invoicing for work assignments, administering evaluations to students, and evaluating student progress, in a timely manner
- Be a good role model to students and represent 24th Street well to teachers, administrators, parents and students
- Being able to commit to a schedule once assigned
- Other relevant duties as assigned
- 3 years minimum experience teaching K-12 grade students in theatre
- A valid drivers license and reliable vehicle
- Pass a background check
- Passion for the art form of theatre and for educating youth
- Ability to multi-task
- Excellent classroom management skills
- Great collaboration skills
- Experience with devised work
- Availability during school hours and/or after school hours
- Bi-lingual in Spanish and English a plus, but not required
How to apply:
Please email your cover letter and resume detailing your teaching and other relevant experience to email@example.com If you have video samples of you to teaching (not an acting reel), please submit those as well. No phone calls please.