Summer Stage Teaching Artists
Children's Theater of Madison / Madison, WI02.23.23
$620-$765 / week
Summer Stage Teaching Staff Positions Available:
Teaching Artist, Director, Music Director, Choreographer
WHO WE ARE: We are a company dedicated to sparking imagination and building community through the creation and experience of theater. For over 55 years, CTM has been part of the cultural fabric of South-Central Wisconsin, providing exceptional theater productions and educational programs for youth and families. Click here to learn more.
Every CTM employee is engaged in our mission of ongoing equity, diversity, and inclusion work as we strive to be an anti-racist organization. Inclusion is a core value at CTM, and creating an inclusive workplace and work culture is essential. Please read our Inclusion Statement HERE.
JOB SUMMARY: CTM is looking for passionate and skilled theater and arts educators to join our Summer Stage teaching team. These positions will collaborate with fellow artists to co-facilitate and create curriculum, mentor Teaching Assistant Interns, and create a supportive environment where students can build confidence, work as an ensemble, exercise their imagination, and perform. This is a great opportunity for seasoned educators and teaching artists with experience in facilitation, curriculum development, and community building.
PROGRAM LENGTH(S): Summer Stage runs from June 20-August 18. Programs are 1-3 weeks in length. Times are Monday-Friday typically beginning at 9:00 am and ending between 3:00 and 5:00 pm. Please note that 3 week programs also include one Saturday date. Please specify availability when applying.
- Collaborate with your Teaching Artist team to create Lesson Plans and a Curriculum Outline prior to the start of the program.
- Choose materials that align with the program theme / content as needed (ie: books, music, visual aids, art supplies, etc).
- Ensure CTM curricular goals for the class are met through planned exercises, activities, and projects.
- Facilitate classes, workshops, and rehearsals that are engaging, interactive, educational, and fun.
- Use the CTM Mission & Values as a tool to create a positive, safe, inclusive, and supportive learning environment for every student.
- Engage in a community of respect and collaboration with other Teaching Artists and MYArts community members.
- Maintain communication with the Education Department during lesson planning and program facilitation.
- Attend required Teaching Artist training(s).
EXPERIENCE / SKILLS:
- Previous experience as a Teaching Artist or Arts Educator that includes developing and facilitating curriculum for young people required.
- Ability to use classroom management techniques to create a positive, safe, inclusive and supportive learning environment for every student.
- Highly organized, excellent communication skills, and the ability to work independently and collaboratively.
- Flexibility and willingness to problem solve / adapt curriculum based on the needs of the students.
- Trauma Informed Care (TIC) practices are a plus.
COMPENSATION: This is a limited term position. Compensation ranges based on program length and role. Program descriptions for Summer Stage 2023 can be found HERE. Housing and travel are
negotiable for applicants outside the region. Compensation breakdowns for each program located below:
- For half day programs (1 week sessions):
- $300 for facilitation time.
- $60 for lesson planning.
- $15 for training / meeting attendance.
- For full day programs (1, 2, and 3 week sessions):
- $500-630 for weekly facilitation time (this depends on program type and position, not experience).
- $105 for weekly lesson planning.
- $15 for weekly training / meeting attendance.
TIMELINE / PROCESS:
- Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis upon receipt
- Interviews will be conducted within 1-2 weeks of application receipt
- Training(s) will take place in late May / early June
- We hope to have the positions filled by early June
- Start date is dependent on the program(s) you are hired for
TO APPLY: please send the following to Giana at email@example.com with the subject line “Summer Stage Teaching Artist – Application”
- Completed Summer Stage Interest Google Form – LINKED HERE
- Resume or Work Experience History that reflects your qualifications for this position (Teaching Artist / Theater / Arts Educator)
- A Sample Lesson Plan
- A Teaching Philosophy that demonstrates your approach to and passion for theater education (optional)
EOE: Children’s Theater of Madison is an equal opportunity employer. We will not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion (creed), gender, gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, in any of its activities or operations. We will take affirmative action measures to ensure against discrimination in employment, recruitment, advertisements for employment, compensation, termination, upgrading, promotions, and other conditions of employment. We are committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all members of our staff, clients, volunteers, subcontractors, and vendors.