TADA! Youth Theater / Manhattan, New York01.09.24
Drama Desk Award-winning TADA! Youth Theater actively seeks a Director/Choreographer for its 2023-2024 Spring production
Founded in 1984, TADA! Youth Theater inspires young people from different backgrounds to be creative, learn, and think differently through high-quality musical theater productions, and educational programs. TADA!’s vision is that all young people grow up feeling successful, creative, confident, accepted, and accepting of themselves. Through the ability of people learning to express themselves well, we can break down barriers of racism and inequality and create positive, active citizens.
The Resident Youth Ensemble of TADA! (RYET), is a diverse, free, year-round pre-professional training and positive youth development program with youth ages 8-18 from all over New York City’s 5 boroughs and parts of New Jersey. Ensemble Members have a variety of experience and abilities. Applicants should have a passion for, experience with and love working with youth ages 8-18, have a lot of energy, and be a great communicator and collaborator with young performers and adult collaborators.
COMPENSATION: Part-time salaried position, weekly salary of $1200, paid bimonthly through payroll.
SPRING PRODUCTION COMMITMENT: February 12, 2024 -April 21, 2024 (9 weeks)
- Auditions: Feb 15 3:30-7:00pm
- Rehearsals: Feb 28th-April 11th – Basic rehearsal schedule: Wednesdays/Thursdays 3:30-7:00pm, Fridays 3:30-8:00pm, Saturdays 1:30-6:00pm. The Director/Choreographer does not always have to be at rehearsals when it’s the Musical Director time to work.
- Tech Rehearsal Schedule: April 12th-April 20th; Sat/Sun 11:00-7:00pm; Wed-Thurs 3:30-7:30pm; Fri 3:30-8pm
- Production Meetings and Prep Work happen outside of rehearsal hours
- Performances: 7pm on Thursdays & Fridays, 2pm & 7pm on Saturdays, 2pm on Sundays
- Setting a creative vision and choreography for the musical and managing its implementation from idea to execution through clear articulation and communication; including selecting the cast from the RYET with the Musical Director, TADA!’s Associate Director of Ensemble Program, and the Producing Artistic Director, collaborating with designers to ensure artistic vision is articulated, blocking the musical’s movements, leading rehearsals, and monitoring the production’s pacing.
- Oversee all elements to ensure the project is cohesive while sticking with an aesthetic and concept from start to finish.
- Work collaboratively with other members of the TADA! staff including Producing Artistic Director, Designers, Artists, Cast (composed of RYET members) , Marketing staff, Press Representative, Development staff, production staff and crew. Create close partnerships across the company to work as a cohesive team.
- Working with Musical Director and to ensure the quality of the production is what is successful
- Creating specific rehearsal schedules with the Stage Manager and Musical Director that adheres to TADA!’s weekly time constraints and will guarantee that the musical is ready to open successfully and on time
- Over the course of rehearsals, working closely with the Musical Director, Stage Manager, and with young actors on overall technique within a positive youth development framework, ensuring the quality of the production, and speaking on the importance of process as well as finished product.
TADA! Youth Theater is committed to building and fostering a diverse and inclusive workforce that is representative of the youth in our Ensemble program. TADA! is continually working to become a more anti-racist organization. Priority will be given to candidates who are dedicated to anti-racism and share our mission and vision above. Candidates from underrepresented racial or ethnic groups, people with disabilities, and LGBTQIA+ individuals are encouraged to apply.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, or veteran status.
Applicants should email their cover letter, resume with references & choreography reel to Javier Cardenas, Associate Director of Artist Development, for consideration, Jcardenas@TadaTheater.com. COVID-19 Vaccination required. Interviews will occur in January.