Seeking Choreographer for Musical
TADA! Youth Theater / New York, NY10.25.23
Drama Desk Award-winning TADA! Youth Theater actively seeks a Choreographer for its 2023-2024 winter production.
Founded in 1984, TADA! Youth Theater inspires young people from different backgrounds to be creative, learn, and think differently through high-quality musical theater productions, and educational programs. TADA!’s vision is that all young people grow up feeling successful, creative, confident, accepted, and accepting of themselves. Through the ability of people learning to express themselves well, we can break down barriers of racism and inequality and create positive, active citizens.
The Resident Youth Ensemble of TADA! (RYET), is a diverse, free, year-round pre-professional training and positive youth development program with youth ages 8-18 from all over New York City’s 5 boroughs and parts of New Jersey. Ensemble Members have a variety of experience and abilities. Applicants should have a passion for, experience with, and love working with youth ages 8-18, have a lot of energy, and be a great communicator and collaborator with young performers and adult collaborators.
COMPENSATION: Part-time salaried position, weekly salary of $700 for 9.5 weeks, totaling $6650, paid bimonthly through payroll.
WINTER PRODUCTION COMMITMENT: November 17, 2023 – Jan 28, 2023 (9.5 weeks, Off Dec 23rd-January 1st)
- Auditions: Nov. 18th 10:00am-6:00pm. The show is cast from the current members of the RYET. Not everyone who auditions has to be cast. There is a meeting on November 18th from 6-8pm following the audition to make casting decisions.
- Rehearsals: November 29-January 19th (Holiday Break Dec 23rd-January 1st). Basic rehearsal schedule: Wednesdays/Thursdays 3:30-7:00pm, Fridays 3:30-8:00pm, Saturdays 1:30-6:00pm. The Choreographer will not need to be at all rehearsals depending on the schedule and discussion with the director
- Tech Rehearsal Schedule: January 20-January 27; Saturday/Sunday 11:00-7:00pm; Wed-Fri 3:30-7:30pm
- Production Meetings and Prep Work happen outside of rehearsal hours and start in November
- Performances: January 27th-February 18th basically Saturday and Sunday 2pm & 4:00pm. The Choreographer’s commitment is through opening weekend.
- Creating the choreography for the musical based on conversations with the Director. Managing its implementation from idea to execution through clear articulation, teaching and communication; including selecting the cast from the RYET with the Director, Musical Director, TADA!’s Associate Director of Ensemble Program, and the Producing Artistic Director, collaborating with designers, and leading dance rehearsals.
- Work collaboratively with other members of the TADA! staff including Producing Artistic Director, Designers, Artists, Cast (composed of RYET members) , Marketing staff, Press Representative, Development staff, production staff and crew. Create close partnerships across the company to work as a cohesive team.
- Working with Musical Director and Director to ensure the quality of the production is successful
- Creating specific rehearsal schedules with the stage manager, musical director, and director that adheres to TADA!’s weekly time constraints and will guarantee that the musical is ready to open successfully and on time
- Over the course of rehearsals, working closely with the Musical Director, Director, Stage Manager, and with young actors on overall technique within a positive youth development framework, ensuring the quality of the production, and speaking on the importance of process as well as finished product.
TADA! Youth Theater is committed to building and fostering a diverse and inclusive workforce that is representative of the youth in our Ensemble program. TADA! is continually working to become a more anti-racist organization. Priority will be given to candidates who are dedicated to anti-racism and share our mission and vision above. Candidates from underrepresented racial or ethnic groups, people with disabilities, and LGBTQIA+ individuals are encouraged to apply.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, or veteran status.
HOW TO APPLY: Applicants should email their cover letter, resume with references & choreography reel to Javier Cardenas, Associate Director of Artist Development, for consideration, Jcardenas@TadaTheater.com. COVID-19 Vaccination required. Interviews will occur in late October/Early November.