Scenic Electrician (Full-Time)
The Children's Theatre of Cincinnati / Cincinnati, OH05.25.23
The Scenic Electrician is a skilled theatre professional, knowledgeable in aspects of theatrical lighting, projection, and special effects. The Scenic Electrician works with the TD/Lead Carpenter to install lighting elements of scenic pieces and props and will assist with the carpentry build for four MainStage productions per season, Academy Live! and TCT on Tour shows on an as needed basis.
The Scenic Electrician will install, maintain, strike and store/inventory all lighting, projection, and special effects equipment. They will have knowledge of industry standard theatrical electrical techniques along with basic construction knowledge. The Scenic Electrician is self-motivated, able to work independently to complete tasks assigned to them safely and quickly without constant and direct oversight. The Scenic Electrician can read and interpret designer draftings, plots and other paperwork to implement the designs.
The Scenic Electrician is willing to assist other departments to help fulfill the goals of the company. The Scenic Electrician reports directly to the TD/Lead Carpenter and works closely with all shop team members.
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Implement theatrical lighting design components in scenic and prop elements.Collaboratively work with TD’s and Prop Master to create electrical elements of props (Utilizing wireless DMX, batteries, small electronics)
- Read and interpret technical or designer drawings and choose the correct methods and tools to efficiently and safely complete the task
- Appropriately use an operational knowledge of electricity and relevant formulas.
- Utilize a basic knowledge of theatrical lighting consoles, primarily ETC’s EOS Family Software at TCT’s Red Bank Facility.
- Assist with theatrical video and projection systems for Mainstage, Academy and Tour shows
- Coordinate load in and lighting rentals for Main Stage shows with union crew and Head Electrician at the Taft Theatre
- Maintain and repair inventory of lighting and atmospheric fixtures for TCT
- Attend scheduled production and design meetings as necessary
- Safely use stationary and portable power tools, as well as hand tools
- Repair existing set pieces to show-ready status
- Assist with construction of Main Stage, Academy and TCT On Tour productions
- Assist as needed with truck pack, load-in, load-out and strike of all sets
- Maintain and organize a clean work environment
- Inform TD/Lead Carpenter of broken equipment and tools
- Provide support during special events on an as needed basis
- Communicate with upper management with any questions or issues
Minimum and Ideal Qualifications:
- BA or equivalent in theatre, or equivalent theatrical or construction electrician experience
- Basic knowledge of intelligent and conventional theatrical lighting equipment,
- DMX and network-based systems.
- Able to read and interpret construction drawings, light plots, and corresponding documents
- Basic scenic carpentry skills
- Experience wiring large scenic items with electrical components
- Basic ability to use Vectorworks, Lightwright and basic worksheet and spreadsheets.
- Able to lift up to 50lbs, safely climb stairs, ladders, and use aerial work platforms or manlifts
- Proficiency with power tools, including, but not limited to: table saw, miter saw, jig saw, pneumatic staplers, hand routers, powered sanders
- Self-motivated and able to work independently and safely
- Excellent time management skills
- Positive, problem-solving attitude
- Valid driver’s license, experience operating box trucks is a plus.
Compensation & Benefits:
Annual Salary Range: $39,000-$45,000
Ideal Start Date: 7/5/2023
- Health, vision and dental benefits available, partially subsidized by employer contributions, after a waiting period.
- 403(b) retirement plan participation available, after a waiting period, with eligibility for an employer match after one year of credited service.
- Generous PTO based on years of service.
- Generous paid holiday schedule.
The Children’s Theatre of Cincinnati believes the stories on our stages and the work we do behind the scenes must reflect the diverse communities we serve. We believe inclusive work cultures spark wide-ranging, exploratory conversations and learning. Therefore, we strongly welcome and encourage people from all backgrounds, identities, abilities, and ages to apply as we continue our commitment to diversity and build an inclusive environment at TCT.
TO APPLY: Qualified candidates should submit whatever they feel best reflects their qualifications. This can come in the form of a video, cover letter/resume, portfolio, and/or demo reels. (Files should be less than 3MB in total, links are welcome). No phone calls, please.
Please submit materials and any references by Friday June 23, 2023 to Director of Production, Dani.Lobello@tctcincinnati.com.
Subject Line: Scenic Electrician 2023