Scenic Artist (Full-Time)
The Children's Theatre of Cincinnati / Cincinnati, OH05.25.23
Annual Salary Range $36,000-$41,000
The Scenic Artist is a skilled theatre professional, knowledgeable in all aspects of scenic art. The Scenic Artist works with the TD/Scenic Charge Artist to visually recreate the scenic designer’s vision through paint and surface treatments to the scenery of the four MainStage productions per season, Academy and TCT on Tour shows.
The Scenic Artist is self-motivated, able to work independently to complete tasks assigned to them safely and quickly without constant and direct oversight. The Scenic Artist can read and interpret paint elevations, and is knowledgeable in art techniques as they relate to scenic art.
The Scenic Artist is willing to assist other departments to help fulfill the goals of the company. The Scenic Artist reports directly to the Scenic Charge Artist and works closely with all shop team members.
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Work with the Scenic Charge Artist to understand the vision and needs of the production
- Work with the Scenic Charge Artist to create artistic techniques and samples
- Track supplies while keeping the shop well organized and clean
- Paint all TCT productions including Mainstage, Academy and TCT on Tour with the help of the TD/Scenic Charge Artist and over hire as needed
- Assist as needed with truck pack, load-in, load-out and strike of all sets
- Inform TD/Scenic Charge Artist of broken equipment and tools
- Touch up Main Stage shows with union crew at the Taft Theatre
- Assist in creating a “touch-up” kit and touching up the scenery as necessary on location
- Assist with any needs for STAR Programs, TCT on Tour, Workshops, & lobby displays
- Assist with maintenance and upkeep of the ShowTime Theatre at Red Bank facility.
- Provide support during special events on an as needed basis
- Other duties as assigned
Minimum and Ideal Qualifications:
- BA or equivalent in theatre or art, or 4 years scenic painting experience
- Knowledge of scenic painting techniques, including faux finishes, cartooning, texturing, aging, working with fabrics and foam carving.
- Able to lift up to 50lbs, safely climb stairs, ladders, and use aerial work platforms or manlifts
- Knowledge and experience with scenic sprayers including P50, Hudson, Preval, and Pneumatic
- Able to read and interpret paint elevations
- Self-motivated and able to work independently and safely
- Positive, problem-solving attitude
- Excellent time management and organizational skills
- Valid driver’s license, experience operating box trucks is a plus.
Compensation & Benefits:
Annual Salary Range: $36,000-$41,000
Ideal Start Date: 7/5/2023
The Children’s Theatre of Cincinnati believes the stories on our stages and the work we do behind the scenes must reflect the diverse communities we serve. We believe inclusive work cultures spark wide-ranging, exploratory conversations and learning. Therefore, we strongly welcome and encourage people from all backgrounds, identities, abilities, and ages to apply as we continue our commitment to diversity and build an inclusive environment at TCT.
TO APPLY: Qualified candidates should submit whatever they feel best reflects their qualifications. This can come in the form of a video, cover letter/resume, portfolio, and/or demo reels. (Files should be less than 3MB in total, links are welcome). No phone calls, please.
Please submit materials and any references by Friday June 23, 2023 to Director of Production, Dani.Lobello@tctcincinnati.com.
Subject Line: Scenic Artist 2023