Production Stage Manager
South Carolina Children's Theatre / Greenville, SC03.30.23
Reports to: Artistic Director Full-Time
FLSA Status: Exempt
South Carolina Children’s Theatre (SCCT) is a growing non-profit organization with an annual budget of $1,347,000 located in Greenville, SC. For more than 30 years, SCCT has served approximately 50,000 children and their families annually with its mission: to educate and stimulate the minds and imaginations of young people and their families through participation in high quality theatre, year-round education and accessible outreach. Programs include performances and special events, theatre classes, on-site residencies, school tours, and outreach programs for under-resourced children. It is an exciting time to join SCCT as the organization recently completed a $14.45MM capital campaign to build its own theatre complex in downtown Greenville, allowing all of its programs and administrative staff to grow.
SCCT envisions a community where all children experience the transformational power of the arts that nourish creativity, grow empathy, and inspire confidence. SCCT is committed to equity, diversity, inclusion, and justice both in the organization and community. SCCT is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, gender, sexual orientation, age, disability, or veteran status.
Reporting to the Artistic Director, the Production Stage Manager (PSM) is a critical member of the artistic and production departments acting as a key communicator and collaborator for the producing operations of the organization. The PSM will lead the stage management operations of the theatre and serve as the primary stage manager for several productions throughout the season. The PSM will also have administrative responsibilities that relate to the day-to-day functions of the artistic and production departments and will serve as a public face of the organization at auditions, rehearsals, and other events as determined by the Artistic Director.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Manage rehearsals and call performances on 4-5 select productions in the Bell Stage and the Younts Stage
- Create, maintain, and distribute production schedules for all productions in collaboration with the Artistic Director and show Directors
- Manage the transition of all show elements from the rehearsal room to the stage.
- Supervise Assistant Stage Manager(s), Production Assistant(s), and other stage management team members in production duties during Rehearsal, Technical Rehearsals, and Performances.
- Maintain and update all stage management and institutional paperwork and digital folders relating to stage management and production.
- Prepare agendas, take notes, and disseminate meeting notes for all production meetings.
- Create and maintain a prompt book and calling script for each production assigned, which is the hub of all information and is kept in a secure and accessible location.
- Recruit, onboard, orient, and supervise stage management team members for all productions, including students.
- Work with Technical Director to recruit and schedule run crew members for all productions.
- Generate paperwork, such as actor packets, scripts, accident reports, contact sheets, front of house information sheet, and others as assigned/developed.
- In collaboration with Artistic Director, assist in writing contracts for all creative staff, including directors, designers, actors, and other personnel.
- Assist in season calendaring and scheduling, and the creation of all accompanying documentation.
- Be the primary point of contact for all auditions and callbacks, working with individual show directors to prepare materials, build audition calls, and manage submissions.
- Serve as staff presence at auditions and callbacks, checking actors in, answering questions, arranging audition groupings, and other duties as assigned.
- Develop and oversee creation of stage management educational curriculum for SCCT students.
- Coordinate meals for weekend technical rehearsals.
- Assist in setting up rooms for rehearsals, auditions, callbacks, etc.
- Provide support managing the Outlook calendars for all rehearsal and performance spaces.
- As needed, provide on-site support for artistic events, technical rehearsals, scenic load-in/strike, and other events as assigned.
- Contribute to an atmosphere of imagination, collaboration, and joy.
- Other duties as assigned
- Detail-oriented, strong organizational skills, ability to multi-task.
- Ability to confidently and calmly manage diverse groups of individuals
- Strong administrative and project management skills are preferred
- Prior professional stage management experience is required
- Excellent communication and time management.
- Valid driver’s license, clean driving record.
- Willing to learn new skills including SCCT’s database, Tessitura.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office Suite+
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds
- A positive outlook and the ability to manage stressful situations with poise and kindness.
South Carolina Children’s Theatre (SCCT) offers health insurance to all full-time employees at no cost to the employee. In addition, the following benefits are also available:
- Two weeks of paid time off (increases with tenure); 5 paid sick days; 10 paid holidays; additionally, SCCT offices are closed from December 24 – January 1 with full compensation still given to employees
- Complimentary tickets for each production per season
- Discounts on Theatre Conservatory classes and Summer Camps
- Free parking in downtown Greenville
To apply, please submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the words “Production Stage Manager” in the subject line.