PGE Virtual School Show Director
Oregon Children's Theatre / Portland, OR05.27.21
PGE Virtual School Show Director
PROJECT MANAGER: Artistic Director/Production Manager
LOCATION: Portland, Oregon
PROJECT GOALS AND SCOPE OF SERVICES:
On behalf of Portland General Electric (PGE), Oregon Children’s Theatre (OCT) has commissioned a playwright to develop a script for a new production for kindergarten through third grade. The show will focus on clean energy, what young people can do to combat climate change, caring for our environment, and electrical safety. This two-character, 25-30 minute production will be produced and recorded for a digital platform.
The director will be responsible for all responsibilities typically assigned to a director on a new production for young people. Including, but not limited to;
- Collaborating with the playwright, Creative Team, Cultural Consultant, OCT Artistic Leadership, and PGE Staff on the creative concept for the design of the production.
- Directing the adult actors in rehearsal and filming.
- Working with the editor and sound designer in post-production to complete the finished product.
The Ideal Partner will:
- Be a collaborative and creative problem solver,
- Have experience creating stories with and for young people,
- Have experience directing both virtual and live theatrical productions.
- Characters in this show will identify as Native American/Indigenous and Latinx. We hope to work with an artist that shares some or all of those identities.
Due to constantly changing circumstances with the COVID-19 pandemic, this timeline is approximate.
- Development workshop to be scheduled in Summer 2021
- Rehearsals and Filming in August/September 2021
- Digital Production will launch Fall 2021
HOW TO SUBMIT
Along with a current résumé, please submit your responses to the prompts below through the medium(s) that allow(s) you to express yourself most comfortably and completely (video, audio recording, and/or writing).
- What about this commission interests and excites you.
- Your experience working on new plays and plays for young people.
- And most of all, we want to hear about you, who you are as a human being and a director, and what conditions make it possible for you to thrive and do your very best work.
Please submit to email@example.com including “PGE Director Submission [Your Name]” in the subject line. We prefer if you send all supporting documents as a single PDF. Recordings can be sent as a file or a link to Dropbox, Google Drive, or YouTube.
ABOUT OREGON CHILDREN’S THEATRE
The mission of Oregon Children’s Theatre is to create exceptional theater experiences that transform lives. We believe theater and storytelling can educate, empower, inspire, and entertain in remarkable ways. Our vision is that all children, families, and communities have opportunities to learn and grow through theater and the arts. We approach all our work with respect for the intelligence and creativity of children.
OCT is the region’s largest non-profit performing arts company for young audiences. For over 30 years, we have provided professional arts and arts education programs in Oregon & SW Washington. Over a typical season, we reach over 120,000 children and families through stage productions, school performances and residencies, and theater classes. Applicants are encouraged to explore our website to learn more about our mission and programs.
OCT believes communities are stronger when they are diverse, and we are committed to building a creative and dynamic workplace with that in mind. We are an equal opportunity employer and strive to promote equity in our hiring practices inclusive of race, color, national or ethnic origin, religion, sex, class, age, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, and disability status. We recognize that OCT has been historically staffed by predominately white and able-bodied people. We especially encourage applications from those who bring us new perspectives and lived experiences, candidates of traditionally underrepresented identities, and those who will advance our goals of equity, diversity, and inclusion. We welcome requests for accommodations during the application or employment process.