TADA! Youth Theater / New York, NY04.14.21
TADA! Youth Theater Seeks Music/Vocal Director for Summer Production
Drama Desk Award-winning TADA! Youth Theater actively seeks a Music/Vocal Director for its upcoming summer show, Heroes. Founded in 1984, TADA! Youth Theater inspires young people from different backgrounds to be creative, learn, and think differently through high-quality musical theater productions, and educational programs. TADA!’s vision is that all young people grow up feeling successful, creative, confident, accepted, and accepting of themselves. Through the ability of people learning to express themselves well, we can break down barriers of racism and inequality and create positive, active citizens.
The Resident Youth Ensemble of TADA! (RYET) is a diverse, free, year-round pre-professional training and positive youth development program with youth ages 8-18 from all over New York City’s 5 boroughs and parts of New Jersey. We are looking for candidates who have experience working with youth from a variety of backgrounds.
An ideal candidate will have experience working with youth and teens that are represented in our Ensemble in a theatrical capacity. We’re looking for a number of candidates who have strong vocal director (both individual and group harmonies) abilities, are excellent pianists, and/or are strong vocal coaches who can play. Cast members will have a variety of experience and abilities and the Musical/Vocal Director needs to be comfortable working with them and getting the best out of each cast member. Applicants should have a passion for and love working with youth, have a lot of energy, and be a great communicator and collaborator with young people and adults.
Responsibilities will include:
• Conducting warm-ups
• Teaching young actors vocal scores and harmonies, many of which do not read music.
• Accompanying rehearsals
• Transposing music to meet the performers’ abilities when necessary
• Creatively driving the musical aspects of the show or lessons
• Recruiting, scheduling, and rehearsing a band for performances
• Playing piano and conducting for performances and/or special events
• Giving notes to young actors throughout rehearsals and the run of performances
This is a part-time salaried position paid $600/week bimonthly (15th and 30th) for seven weeks, totaling $4,200.
Commitment: June 21st-August 7th
• General rehearsal hours are 12:00-6:00pm Tuesdays-Saturdays but are subject to change to comply with COVID safety standards.
• We hope to hold in-person rehearsals in the theater. The production will be recorded live then streamed for the public with a possible small in-person audience performance.
TADA! Youth Theater is committed to building and fostering a diverse and inclusive workforce that is representative of our vastly diverse youth in our Ensemble program. TADA! is continually working to become a more anti-racist organization. Priority will be given to candidates who are dedicated to anti-racism and share our mission and vision above. Candidates from underrepresented racial or ethnic groups, people with disabilities, and LGBTQIA+ individuals are encouraged to apply.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, or veteran status.
Applicants should email their cover letter and resume with references to Ashley Knowles, Associate Director of Ensemble Program, for consideration: firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please.