Marketing and Communications Director
Park Square Theatre & SteppingStone Theatre for Youth / Saint Paul, MN05.28.21
The Marketing and Communications Director is the chief steward of two merging organization’s brands and ensures the planning and execution of all marketing and communications strategies. The position serves on the Senior Staff team and works directly with the leadership of Park Square and SteppingStone Theatres to research, engage, and provide a compelling audience and donor experience. This position will craft appropriate messages and content, lead advertising and community engagement efforts, and oversee staff and volunteers as needed.
The Marketing and Communications Director provides vision, leadership, management support, technical implementation and guidance to Park Square and Steppingstone Theatres’ marketing and communications efforts through direct management of internal resources, as well as contractors and external resources. They ensure that the organization’s goals are achieved and lead development, implementation, and evaluation of strategic and daily marketing and communication efforts. They will oversee a portfolio that includes narrative and message development, video production, social media, traditional and new media relations, writing, editing, and other communications strategies.
The most competitive candidates for the position are self-motivated, collaborative, strategic, creative, communications professionals who are passionate about our mission, driven by equity, and skilled in management. We seek a strong storyteller with a background in digital communications, journalism, or public relations. The director should be guided by the values of equity and justice and have a track record of success in mission-driven communication. This position contributes directly to the new shared mission of SteppingStone Theatre and Park Square Theatre as a “Theatre for Life,” supporting excellent artistry, creative learning, and opportunities to develop as a human being and an artist, whether a professional artist, learner, or an audience member.
THIS IS THE IDEAL POSITION IF: You love theatre and working with creative people to make big things happen for the community of young people, adults, families, artists, donors, and community organizations that comprise the PST/SST community. The new combined vision will lead to substantial growth of the organization, and your passion and skills will grow and develop alongside an exciting team of change-makers. You are committed to superior customer service at all times and focus on getting the details right. You love seeing success from your efforts and expect that planning and execution will get the job done. This position is full-time, but we are flexible in crafting a position or transition period for the right candidate.
REPORTS TO AND CLOSE ASSOCIATES: The position will report to the Executive Artistic Director/Interim Executive Director. This position manages a small team of employees and contractors.
MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES & TASKS
Development and Implementation
- Develop and supervise the communications team and serve as a strategic member of the senior staff team
- Build a narrative and messaging for the organization in collaboration with leadership and program directors that centers equity and social justice and focuses attention on core beliefs and community value
- Supervise and assist in successful media relations efforts by responding rapidly to news that intersects with our priorities, and developing and maintaining relationships with journalists and influencers across the state
- Develop and manage annual communications work plans, budgets, and timelines
- Collaborate with ticket and audience services staff to ensure seamless and positive patron experience
- Collaborate with development staff to ensure effective, donor-centric, on-brand communications
Assessment and Improvement
- Regularly assess and survey the communications and narrative strategies to ensure that the organization’s messages, narrative and communications remain relevant within the dynamic social and cultural environment
- Continually assess effectiveness in reaching target audiences and creating inclusive messaging and experiences
- Lead and/or assist in the development of leadership talking points, digital and web content, blog posts, press releases, and public statements
- Supervise and assist in the management and effectiveness of social media, digital outreach, and video development
- Guide editing of publications, blog posts and other materials
- Liaison with contractors such as web design and creative services firms and with Communication leads at partner organizations for joint publications
- Lead in building the communications skills of employees, including delivery of trainings
- Support and collaborate with staff on event planning, materials, digital fundraising strategy, and fundraising-related marketing
- Other duties as needed
POSITION REQUIREMENTS, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
Supervisory Responsibility: Yes
- This position is a leadership position and requires 5+ years of experience in communications, marketing or public relations
- A commitment to racial equity and social justice
- Management experience
- Strong writing and editing skills, including the ability to explain complex issues clearly and succinctly
- Demonstrated success building relationships with influencers; crafting and executing strategic communications plans; demonstrated digital communications expertise
- Strong familiarity with digital communications, information technology, and social media
- Demonstrated organizational and project management skills
- Nonprofit/public policy/cultural communications experience
- At least 3 years of previous management experience
- Experience with communications in diverse audiences and complex demographics
- Knowledge of best practices for effective communication of data and impact
STATUS: Permanent, full time
COMPENSATION: Consistent with our current salary scale, the salary range for the position is competitive with the nonprofit market rate and commensurate with experience at $60,000-68,000. The organization offers competitive benefit packages and a flexible work environment.
HOW TO APPLY: PLEASE SUBMIT A RESUME AND COVER LETTER to mark(at)steppingstonetheatre.org