Puppet Showplace Theater / Brookline, MA03.05.21
Puppet Showplace Theater Managing Director
Apply by March 12
Puppet Showplace Theater seeks a Managing Director (MD) to co-lead the organization. In partnership with the Artistic Director, the MD carries out the theater’s mission to present outstanding professional puppetry to diverse audiences through performances, workshops, and community outreach activities.
Now in its 47th year, Puppet Showplace Theater is nationally renowned as New England’s home for puppetry arts. Puppet Showplace is currently operating remotely with a reduced staff, and with some affiliated artists streaming programs from the theater. In the wake of pandemic closures and a recent theft that threatened the organization’s future, the theater is seeking a Managing Director who can lead the development, operations, and financial administration of this landmark community treasure as we reopen to the public. The MD will demonstrate the highest levels of integrity and transparency, and will prioritize safety and community trust as the theater plans for the resumption of on-site performances.
Puppet Showplace Theater is deeply committed to advancing the values of justice, diversity, equity, and inclusion in the arts. The theater designs programs to engage audiences of all ages, backgrounds, and abilities, and runs programs specifically designed to increase diversity and representation in the puppetry field. The theater also partners with local organizations and emerging artists to develop innovative new work. We seek applicants from all backgrounds to ensure we get the best, most creative and diverse talent on our team.
The Managing Director safeguards the theater’s assets and manages the organization’s approximately $500,000 operating budget. The MD is responsible for financial reporting and compliance, annual development targets, administrative staff supervision, HR functions, and facility oversight.
Development and Donor Stewardship
- In collaboration with the Artistic Director, build and implement the theater’s development and fundraising plan, including direct solicitation of donors.
- Manage all aspects of grant applications, including research, grants calendar, proposal writing, and reporting.
- Help develop, maintain, and support a strong Board of Trustees. Serve as an ex-officio trustee. With the Artistic Director, engage the board in activities to support the Theater’s mission and fundraising.
Management and Operations
- In collaboration with the Artistic Director and the Board, oversee the development and implementation of strategic organizational goals including marketing and financial targets.
- With the Artistic Director, develop and implement a marketing plan for programming and public relations.
- Facilitate open communication by leading staff meetings and participating in Board meetings.
- Serve as head of HR, managing personnel files for hourly, salary, and contract employees.
- In collaboration with the Artistic Director and the Board, promote equity, diversity, accessibility, and inclusion in all aspects of organizational operations.
- Oversee creation of the annual organizational budget.
- Supervise bookkeeper in maintaining financial reporting in Quickbooks, and in external reporting.
- Manage and approve outgoing expenses, and serve as liaison to external suppliers.
- With input from the Artistic Director and staff, manage the development of Board reports and the theater’s Annual Report and impact statement.
- Manage review and filing of taxes with CPA.
- Ensure safety and accessibility of all spaces under the theater’s purview.
- Oversee implementation of building maintenance and repairs.
- Liaise regularly with building management company and condo association on building-wide topics.
- Management experience, including the recruitment and training of staff, preferably in the non-profit performing arts sector or related field.
- Enthusiasm for puppetry and the performing arts.
- Experience with fundraising from individuals, foundations, corporations, government agencies, and other community organizations.
- Strong analytical and data-based reporting skills, with literacy in financial management, accounting, and budget oversight.
- Fluency with web-based communication tools, databases, and analytical software. Specific experience with Google Suite, Office Suite, Mac OSX, QuickBooks, CRM or ticketing software a plus.
- Experience serving diverse constituents, and enthusiasm for expanding services to new populations.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Entrepreneurial mindset with a rigorous and creative approach to business planning.
Applicants who may not exactly meet these qualifications are encouraged to describe in their cover letter why they would nonetheless contribute to Puppet Showplace and how they would carry out the requirements of this important role.
Board of Trustees
Puppet Showplace Theater highly values diversity, equity, inclusion, and accessibility. We encourage candidates from all backgrounds and abilities to apply. Puppet Showplace Theater provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age, disability, sexual orientation, or gender identity, and encourages a diverse and inclusive workplace.
Full-time exempt; 40 hours per week.
Additional hours as necessary for special events, including some evenings and weekends.
How To Apply:
Send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “2021 Managing Director Position – First and Last Name.” No phone calls, please. If you progress through our initial stage, we will request 3-4 references. Finalists will be required to pass a CORI check.
March 12, 2021.
Flexible, with a target start of May 1 or earlier.
$50-55,000/year, commensurate with experience.