Literature to Life / New York, NY06.18.20
SEEKING MANAGING DIRECTOR (Full Time; Salary of $45,000 plus stipend towards health ins.)
This is an exciting opportunity for an experienced arts administrator with an entrepreneurial spirit to have a flexible, work-from-home position while helping a nationally recognized arts-education program build its infrastructure and outreach.
Literature to Life uses solo performances of great literature, facilitated discussion and arts integration workshops as the catalyst to inspire students to become positive agents of change in their own lives and their communities.
Founded as the educational program at the American Place Theatre over three decades ago, Literature to Life carries forward the legacy of founder Wynn Handman, who championed American writers of diverse backgrounds as “voices worth hearing” – a pioneering notion in the 1960s. Now under the leadership of Literature to Life co- founding Artistic Director, Elise Thoron and after 25 years of outreach to tens of thousands of students nationwide this mighty collective of artists and educators is proud to amplify the voices of the diverse authors on our theatrical roster of books.
The Managing Director (MD) of Literature to Life is a full time position being created to lead administrative and business efforts during this period of dynamic change/evolution for the company. The MD will work in partnership with the Artistic Director, a collective of Teaching Artists & Actors and a vibrant new Board of directors to help implement strategic initiatives as we build capacity and expand outreach for this small but historic educational theatre program.
This is a full-time position with a stipend towards health benefits. We are a work-from-home company based in New York City and provide flexibility of hours.
Equity, diversity, and inclusion are foundational to Literature to Life. Applicants of all identities are encouraged to apply, including people of color, persons with disabilities, LGBTQ and people at the intersections of these identities. Applicants will be considered for this opportunity regardless of race, color, religion, sex, gender, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, or age.
The Managing Director will oversee management in the following areas…
- Business / Financial: Oversee financial planning for a $200,000 annual expense budget in partnership with Finance Committee including monthly cash flow management and projections, setting fees for performances and workshops, bi-weekly payroll, accounts payable and receivable, Directors & Officer’s Insurance, etc. All fiscal and business management to be done in partnership with the Board and Fiscal Sponsor.
- Strategic Plan: Act as the lead manager pushing forward strategic initiatives in partnership with the Artistic Director and Board – setting benchmarks and timelines for annual capacity building.
- Board: Partner with Chair of the Board and Artistic Director in managing a dynamic new Board of Directors. Help to run Board meetings, coordinate committee efforts, and set measurable goals for fundraising. The MD will help transition the company from fiscal sponsorship to independent 501c3 status in partnership with the Board in FY22.
- Personnel: Manage scope of work and HR aspects of employment for part-time and project specific employees including Company Manager, Project Producer, Lead Project Teaching Artist and company of 10-15 Artist / Educators. Supervise and mentor staff as needed on business practices, decision making and time management – implementing best administrative practices and accountability measures. Assess staffing needs and hire / recruit as needed including project consultants and Teaching Artists to expand the company.
- Start-Up: Create and manage company systems, online resources for remote working and work-flow practices which allow for efficient and sustainable growth – building infrastructure and capacity over time.
- Contracts: Manage performance bookings and contracts for current and future seasons including liaising with booking agent – negotiating fees, travel details and other contractual obligations. Manage all IP rights agreements with authors and agents including tracking and initiating royalty payments and working with pro-bono attorney.
The Managing Director will support the following areas…
- Fundraising: Support, coordinate and assist board fundraising efforts – grant research, writing and reporting as needed.
- Programming: Support educational programs for 7 active Literature to Life titles in partnership with Artistic Director, Company Manager and company artist/educators including development of new title and premier for students and the public in NYC.
- Communications: Support the development and implementation of a marketing and public relations plan for the organization that includes regular communication with the community, funders, and stakeholders. Support Company Manager and Artistic Director in managing monthly calendar of communications, improvement of website, marketing of all shows for current and future seasons. Create marketing resources and plan in partnership with Company Manager and booking agent for future tours.
- BA degree or equivalent and 5+ years of related non-profit experience
- Demonstrated skills and experience in financial management, fundraising support, marketing, project management, performing arts production
- Exceptional interpersonal skills. Strong written and verbal communication skills, multitasking, organizational and time-management skills, excellent attention to detail
- Strategic thinking and decision making
- Passion for the arts, education and social justice
- Demonstrated honesty and integrity.
- Ability to collaborate well in a remote-work, virtual team environment.
- Leading with transparency.
- Demonstrated work ethic and high degree of energy.
Please send cover letter and resume by July 15th (or until filled), to Gwen Brownson: email@example.com