New 42 / New York, NY01.08.24
57,000 - 61,000
Position: House Manager
FLSA Status: Full-Time/Exempt
Salary Range: 57,000 – 61,000
Reports to: Theater Manager
Supervises: FOH / Youth Engagement Staff
New 42 catalyzes the power of performing arts to spark new perspectives, incubate new works and create new opportunities for us all. Through the nonprofit’s signature projects — New Victory Theater (New York City’s premier theater for kids and families) and New 42 Studios (“Broadway’s secret laboratory”) — New 42 makes extraordinary performing arts a vital part of everyone’s life, from the earliest years onward.
We believe that representation matters both on the stage and behind the scenes, and seek employees who feel the same. We also know that creative people often come with non-traditional resumes and experience; if you believe you’d be a great fit here, please don’t count yourself out—we want to hear from you! Read more below on how to apply.
A full-time House Manager responsible for ensuring the courteous, efficient, and safe day-to-day operations of the Theaters front of house during events resulting in the happiness and satisfaction of audience members by performing various administrative, supervisory, clerical, and public relations functions. This is both a supervisory and a hands-on job, requiring outstanding interpersonal relations skills and an ability to build a positive work environment in which our staff (full-time FOH managers and our ushers who are part of a workforce development program) are well-trained, confident, empowered, and eager to please our patrons at The New Victory Theater (a Theater for Kids and Families) and other audience spaces at the New 42.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Act as the primary full-time staff member on duty during performances. Attendance at performances is required, and the show schedule will determine the work schedule including regular evening, weekend, and holiday work.
- Supervise staff in efficiently operating audience services duties, including overseeing ticket scanning, seating, and communications with Front of House staff, The Usher Corps, and Stage Management.
- Create and foster community with ushers in alignment with positive Youth Development principles
- Work to resolve any customer service issues.
- Complete end-of-show reports detailing house counts, tickets sold, and patron comments or concerns.
- Control patron flow and backed-up lines, helping to reduce patron waiting time. In an emergency, the Theatre and Rentals Manager is responsible for the safe evacuation of the audience.
- Administrative tasks include but aren’t limited to overseeing scheduling house management staff and ushers, sending reminder emails, and generating show-specific notes.
- Determines staffing needs with the approval of the Theater Manager.
- Coordinates with necessary departments for all on site events and show responsibilities including Artistic Programming, Development, School Engagement, Facilities Family Engagement as well as others
- Provide excellent customer service, addressing the needs of patrons in a friendly, helpful, timely, and effective manner. Maintain knowledge of plays and ticket policies.
Implements accessibility programs, such as sensory-friendly performances, open captioning, and audio descriptions.
- Training and supervising FOH staff in conjunction with the Theater Manager
- Work with the Assistant Director of Education / Youth Engagement and the Theater Manager to manage the schedule and oversee FOH / Youth Engagement staff.
- Actively engage and participate in ongoing Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Belonging work within the organization including practices within the Front of House department.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Essential Knowledge and Qualifications:
- Minimum four to five years of house management, box office, or similar events management experience.
- Excellent customer service background. Strong interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills.
- Must be adaptable and able to work in a fast-paced environment.
- Experience working with kids, families and/or teens and college students
- A background and/or interest in theater
- Schedule flexibility and willingness to work performances and events,
including early mornings, nights, weekends, and holidays.
- Candidates must have strong computer skills. Previous experience with ticketing software (Tessitura preferred) is a plus but optional.
- Must be CPR certified or able to complete certification.
- Obtain an S-95 Certificate of Fitness from the FDNY
- This position requires standing for extended periods, communicating with Box Office and Stage Management via headset, and repeatedly walking a distance of approximately 50’, including stairs. Frequent lifting of up to 50 pounds, such as supplies and equipment, is required.
Why Should I Apply?
New 42 provides employees with a generous benefits package which includes health, vision, and dental insurance (that begins the first day of employment), a pension plan (following one year of employment with 100% vesting after 3 years eligible service), 403(b) tax-deferred savings plan, short and long-term disability, Flexible Spending Account, a commuter benefit plan, and generous paid time off.
Equal Opportunity Employer
New 42 is an Equal Opportunity Employer and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any kind: New 42 is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetic information, predisposition or carrier status, disability, age, military or veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable law.
New 42 is committed to anti-oppressive practices in all departmental business processes; we aim to prioritize and advance as an anti-racist and anti-oppressive organization.
Any applicants needing accommodations for accessibility purposes, please don’t hesitate to let us know what you need.
How To Apply
Email a cover letter describing your interest in and suitability for this role together with your resume to email@example.com and reference “House Manager” in the subject line.