TheaterWorksUSA / New York, NY12.02.22
TheaterWorksUSA (TWUSA) is seeking candidates for a full-time General Manager to assume responsibility for all business aspects of TWUSA’s operations. The General Manager supervises the Production, Finance, and Human Resources departments. The ideal candidate is professional, organized, detail-oriented, and comfortable managing multiple priorities simultaneously.
About Our Organization
Since 1967 we have been a trailblazer in the not-for-profit theater industry, with our repertoire of 141 literature–and history-based plays and musicals playing a leading role in the rise of theater for young audiences as an art form. We are proud to say that one hundred million children, educators, and families have joined us at the theater to enjoy titles ranging from classics like Charlotte’s Web and Freedom Train to contemporary favorites like Dog Man: The Musical and The Lightning Thief: The Percy Jackson Musical.
Duties and Responsibilities
This position reports to the Executive Director. Specific duties include but are not limited to the following:
- Overseeing administrative, production, financial, and human resources operations. Establishing and maintaining policies, systems, and procedures that ensure optimal operations.
- Developing, planning, and managing the annual budget, and preparing and presenting quarterly budget reports for the Board
- Overseeing the budgeting process for each individual project through all stages of development and production.
- Anticipating and meeting the technical, production, front of house, and box office needs for multiple concurrent productions.
- Working with all relevant unions, including but not limited to Actors’ Equity Association, the Society for Stage Directors and Choreographers and United Scenic Artists.
- Negotiating, preparing, and executing all contracts. Oversee and negotiate contracts with organizational vendors, insurance and benefit providers, and managed artists.
Managing financial operations including cash flow, reconciliations, banking, archiving, compliance, tax reporting, various union dues, A/R and A/P, and insurance. Oversee corporate credit card and debit card use.
- Supervising and leading employees in the Production, Finance, and Human Resources departments.
- Overseeing licensing requests and strategizing with Executive and Artistic Directors to build the TheaterWorksUSA brand by maximizing the value of its repertoire and assets.
- Proactively supporting Executive Director with reports, recommendations, and troubleshooting, as necessary.
Preferred Qualities and Requirements
- At least five years’ experience in theatrical management, operations, or production.
- Skill and experience with contracting, negotiations, and union relations.
- Success with managing domestic touring and/or New York City based productions.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to manage multiple deadlines, manage competing priorities, and work effectively under pressure with grace.
College degree is required; graduate degree in performing arts or a related field is preferred.
- Proficiency with Quickbooks, Salesforce, Paycom, and/or the Microsoft Suite is desirable.
- Enthusiasm for TWUSA’s mission to create exceptional, transformative theater for young and family audiences is required.
Work is primarily sedentary. However, the ability to lift ten pounds related to general office activity is preferable.
Compensation and Location
Salary is $80,000 annually. Compensation package includes 99% employer-paid health insurance, voluntary dental insurance, FSA Transit/Health/Dependent accounts, access to a voluntary 401(k) plan after one year of employment, and a total of 30 days of paid time off annually. The General Manager will work out of our main office in NYC with some flexibility to be hybrid.
Application and Instructions
- Please submit a resume and a statement that includes your approach to equity, diversity, and inclusion. EDI is an important part of TWUSA’s mission, and we ask you to share the ways you imagine bringing a commitment to EDI to your work. No “cover letters” necessary. While we ask that resumes be submitted in written form, we invite applicants to complete their application via a written statement or audio or video recording – whatever form best suits your self-expression.
- Please submit your application with the subject line “General Manager” to email@example.com. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
TheaterWorksUSA serves a diverse, nationwide audience and strives to build a staff, board, and programming that reflects the diversity of our audience. We strongly encourage candidates from communities that have been historically underrepresented to apply.
TheaterWorksUSA is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment and is proud to be an equal employment opportunity employer. TheaterWorksUSA will not discriminate against an applicant or employee on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, national origin or ancestry, sex, age, physical or mental disability, including gender dysphoria and similar gender-related conditions, gender (including pregnancy), veteran or military status, actual or perceived sexual orientation, gender identity or expression (including status as a transgender individual), predisposing genetic characteristics, genetic information, marital status familial status, domestic violence victim status, or any other legally- recognized protected basis under federal, state, or local laws.
TheaterWorksUSA complies with applicable disability laws and makes reasonable accommodations for qualified applicants and employees with disabilities. If reasonable accommodations are needed to participate in the job application or interview process or perform essential job functions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 212.647.1100.