Full-Time Theater Coordinator (Program Director) – Kohl’s Wild Theater
Zoological Society of Milwaukee / Milwaukee, WI05.30.18
Join the Zoological Society of Milwaukee’s award winning professional theater program. Kohl’s Wild Theater (KWT) is a live, interactive, participatory theater--directed primarily to children--that uses drama, puppetry, humor and songs to help inspire children to 1) care more about our natural world, 2) learn ways to help animals here and around the world, and 3) take action to make a difference.
The Zoological Society of Milwaukee (the Society) is a nonprofit organization whose mission is to conserve wildlife and endangered species, to educate people about the importance of wildlife and the environment and to support the Milwaukee County Zoo (the Zoo). This position requires a commitment to the Society’s mission, proven management skills, excellent communication and interpersonal skills, and the ability to manage multiple priorities. This is a full-time position located at the Society’s office on the grounds of the Zoo.
Produce and direct Kohl’s Wild Theater, a program within the education department. Manage the full team of actors, stage managers and independent contract artists to deliver a year-round season of programming both on Zoo grounds and on-tour in the community.
· Research, develop, write, fact check and/or adapt scripts in coordination with professional playwrights, composers, and multiple departments from the Society and the Zoo.
· Hire, train and manage all KWT staff, including two full-time direct reports and a part-time staff of actors.
· Develop and oversee rehearsal process for more than 9 shows per year, including directorial research, staging, choreography, and music direction.
· Develop and administer the KWT budget.
· Evaluate ongoing performances and lead brush-up rehearsals as necessary to maintain quality of performance.
· Negotiate contracts and coordinate services of independent professional costume designers, prop designers, scenic designers, puppet designers and other theater professionals.
· Develop supplemental educational materials to be presented on Zoo grounds and in teacher packets.
· Coordinate media relations with PR staff and make media appearances.
· Represent KWT to multiple audiences including Society/Zoo leadership and national organizations.
· Manage “after-hours” complications in coordination with the KWT Production Stage Manager.
· Serve as a performer or stage manager, as needed.
Undergraduate degree or equivalent in theater, arts management, business, stage management, education or related field. 1-2 years of professional experience preferred.
· Bachelor’s degree in Theater Arts, Education or Natural Science
· Significant professional theater experience
· At least two years of experience in developing theatrical programming for children and families
· At least two years of demonstrated ability to lead people and get results through others
· Proven ability to work independently and in teams
· Proven ability to prioritize and plan work activities and use time efficiently
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills
· Effective user of data collection and analysis for evaluation and decision making
· Team player, flexible, innovative, good sense of humor, interest in children
· Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite and Tessitura
· Must have own vehicle, valid driver’s license and auto insurance
Start date: Summer 2018
Compensation package: PTO plan, health insurance, employer paid disability and life insurance plus a 401(k) plan (with 5% employer contribution after one year). Salary commensurate with experience. Relocation package available for candidates outside SE Wisconsin.
· Ability to occasionally oversee evening or weekend functions and deployments. This is an exempt management position.
· Sitting for extended periods of time.
· Ability to lift and carry up to 50 lbs.
· Ability to operate a computer keyboard, mouse and to handle office equipment.
· Ability to drive.
· Ability to maintain good attendance is a condition of employment and a function of this position.
The Society is an equal opportunity employer. To apply, please send a cover letter, resume, salary requirements (salary commensurate with experience) and, if you like, up to three supporting documents (theatrical directing portfolio, creative writing samples, letter of reference, etc.) to:Zoological Society of Milwaukee
Human Resources Office
10005 W. Bluemound Rd.
Milwaukee, WI 53226
Email to: firstname.lastname@example.org