Full-Time Education Associate
New York City Children's Theater / New York, NY05.12.21
New York City Children’s Theater seeks a full-time Education Associate to start July 2021. This individual will be a crucial member of an innovative education department that uses theatre and music to inspire and educate children in grades Pre-K-5th. Our programs, facilitated by a roster of over 45 talented Teaching Artists, annually reach an average of 85 elementary schools, community centers, and homeless shelters throughout New York City’s five boroughs. Current programs include an inclusive theatre and music residency program, a multi-sensory touring musical designed for students with disabilities and the very young, and two interactive anti-bullying theatre workshops.
The Education Associate will divide their time by providing administrative support to the Education Department at the NYCCT office and teaching in the Literature at Play residency program in Pre-K-5th grade school classrooms, community centers, and homeless shelters across the five boroughs of NYC. The Education Associate reports directly to the Director of Education and assists in supervising a roster of 45 part-time teaching artists. The ideal candidate is an experienced and passionate educator and arts administrator.
Work will begin in a remote setting and will transition back to in-person at the office and at partner sites by the end of summer or start of the school year, pending safety guidelines.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
Assist in planning and maintaining detailed program schedules for residencies and workshops in approx. 85 schools, community centers, and homeless shelters per year
- Lead outreach efforts for potential, past and existing partners
- Act as a liaison between Teaching Artists and school partners (via email, phone, face to face meetings)
- Review and organize lesson plans and residency materials
- Assist in assessment and grant writing duties with Director of Education and Development team
- Create and maintain important education documents (i.e. stock language explaining education programs, letters to new schools, sample program breakdowns, invoice documents)
- Research opportunities for new education partners and programs
- Create age-appropriate book lists and appendices for education programs
- Provide support (on an as-needed basis) at mainstage shows and public programs
- Attend site visits and provide feedback to Teaching Artists as needed
(During training) Shadow and co-teach theatre workshops with Teaching Artists in residency programs in Pre-K-5th grade school classrooms, community centers, and homeless shelters across the five boroughs of NYC
(After training) Lead residency programs (in all settings listed above)
- Bachelor’s Degree in Theatre or Related Field, or equivalent professional experience
- Minimum of 3-5 years experience as a Teaching Artist in educational settings (elementary school preferred) and non-traditional settings with diverse groups of young people
- Experience and/or interest in arts administration
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, and organizational skills
- Sense of humor and adaptability
- Ability to handle multiple projects in a fast-paced and collaborative environment
- Commitment to Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion
- Experience using PC based Microsoft Office Programs (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Ability to work a flexible schedule, occasional nights and weekends required
Preferred but not required:
- Master’s Degree in Theatre or Related Field, or equivalent professional experience
- Experience in curriculum development
- Experience working within the NYC Department of Education System
- Experience working with students with disabilities
Salary: $40,000.00. Position runs year-round, full-time, beginning July 2021. Benefits include paid vacation, generous health insurance plus subsidy and opportunities for 401k and pre-tax commuter expense contributions.
At New York City Children’s Theater, it is important for our staff to be reflective of the student population we serve. Therefore, we strive to create a diverse workplace and are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. In addition, our organization values professional development, and fosters our community in order to create future leadership opportunities. Applicants from populations historically underrepresented in the theatre field are strongly encouraged to apply.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
Full-Time Education Associate Application
Please submit a resume, and cover letter OR short video that explains your relevant arts administration and/or Teaching Artist experience and interest in the position. Please send materials via email with the subject line “Education Associate” to Director of Education Sara Morgulis at firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be accepted through Friday June 4th.