Finance & Operations Manager
Portland Ovations / Portland, ME02.09.23
The Finance & Operations Manager is responsible for managing the financial resources and day-to-day operations of Portland Ovations, a $2.5 million+, 501(c) 3 cultural organization dedicated to the joy and power of live performance. This position is responsible for managing the creation and ongoing review of the operating budget; cash flow; federal, state and local tax payment and reporting; vendor management; bank, investment and endowment accounts; contracts and agreements; fixed assets; financial reports and oversight of accounts payable and accounts receivable. Working closely with the Executive & Artistic Director, Board Finance & Audit Committee, fellow staff and bookkeeper – the Finance & Operations Manager is responsible for driving Ovations’ financial health and sustainable growth, rooted in equitable practices and outcomes, where success is defined by contributing to a more inclusive and sustainable economy.
- Informs financial strategies and long-term financial plans to build and maintain fiscal health.
- Manages the creation and implementation of the annual operating budget, capital budget and special projects budgets as needed.
- Ensures monitoring of departmental budgeting and spending to meet the projected budget; Advises the Executive & Artistic Director and other staff of potential financial challenges, opportunities and changes needed.
- Prepares financial documents and reporting for various internal and external stakeholders, including preparation and review of financial information for required grant reporting and new grant proposals.
- Tracks, reconciles, analyzes monthly reports on contributed income.
- Ensures smooth completion of annual audits and tax reporting.
- Effectively communicates financial strategy and organizational metrics to staff and board.
- Collaborates with Director of Marketing & Development on defining and valuing in-kind relationships.
- Oversees organizational policies and procedures (creation, documentation and execution), including ensuring appropriate internal controls are in place under GAAP standards.
- Reviews and approves staff invoices for payment; debit card usage and extraordinary expenditures requested by staff.
- Implements and monitors appropriate risk management policies and procedures, including overseeing appropriate general liability, property and casualty insurance, coverage types and limits.
- Monitors financial vendor relationships such as investment management, banking, credit/debit card transactions, and ensures regular evaluation of service levels and fees.
- Prepares, maintains and manages credit applications, vendor account information, organization financial and legal files.
- Oversees office systems and equipment, including phones and IT; Tessitura; liaises with IT vendor to ensure organization has proper software and server needs; staff has complete workstations and desk help support.
- Executes organizational contracts and when necessary, generates contracts, memorandums of understanding and other agreements, consulting legal as necessary.
- Liaises and facilitates with the Board Finance & Audit Committee.
- Ensures compliance with all investment and endowment policies as approved by the
Committees and/or Center Board and implements appropriate endowment draw policies and spending plans.
- Collaborates with Director of Marketing & Development on market analysis, establishing ticket prices, revenue projections and strategies; and setting up ticketing with PortTIX (box office).
- Prepares and handles show settlements; provides wraps to tours.
- Responsible for standardizing and documenting financial and operational procedures and practices.
Ideal candidates will possess:
- Expertise in non-profit accounting, financial management, projecting and modeling, utilization of QuickBooks.
- Theoretical, professional and lived experience in sustainable, equitable growth.
- A commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion.
- An understanding of non-profit finance and B corps values and principles including the use of profits and growth as a means to a greater end, positive impact for employees, communities and the non-profit sector.
- Knowledge of development software.
- Experience in operationalizing strategy and effectively leading colleagues toward successful and positive implementation.
- Deep knowledge of philanthropy.
Hours and Compensation:
This is a full-time position with benefits. Weekend and evening hours required with limited work-from-home time available. Salary range: $65,000-$75,000 plus medical insurance, Simple IRA, generous Paid Time Off policy, flexible work schedule and other benefits.
Portland Ovations is committed to being anti-racist and values equity and social justice for all. We celebrate, support, and learn from our differences and believe an inclusive and diverse workplace creates a thriving organization benefiting our employees, our programs, and our communities. Ovations is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and welcomes applications from candidates demonstrating diversity of race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, ethnicity and national origin.
About Portland Ovations:
Ovations is a vibrant non-profit performing arts organization in Portland, Maine connecting artists and audiences through a diverse array of arts experiences onstage and off. With performances in classical, pop, jazz and international music; traditional, classical and contemporary dance; and theater ranging from solo tour-de-forces to Broadway National Tours, Ovations aims to make the performing arts an integral part of everyday life. Our small, but mighty and dedicated team is at the heart of Portland’s Arts District. Ovations has a long history of collaborating with other arts organizations, schools, community service organizations and local businesses and strongly believes that engagement in the arts is part of how we support the wellbeing of our communities.
Health & Safety:
As an organization dedicated to gathering people for live performance experiences, Ovations prioritizes the health and safety of its staff, artists, event workers, audiences, board and volunteers. As such, Ovations expects all employees to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19. If after receiving a job offer, candidates have questions about this expectation, please contact us.
Please send a cover letter, resume and 3 references (will not contact without permission) with the subject line “Finance & Operations Manager” to firstname.lastname@example.org. We look forward to meeting you!
Portland Ovations is an Equal Opportunity Employer