Executive Artistic Director
Metro Theater Company / St. Louis, MO08.31.23
Metro Theater Company seeks a visionary artist and strategic thinker to lead the award-winning Theater for Young Audiences (TYA) company as Executive Artistic Director (EAD)
This inspirational leader will build upon a five-decade legacy of excellence to nurture artistic and educational innovation, increase institutional sustainability, and deepen partnerships throughout the local, regional, and national community. They work directly with the Board of Directors to guide the development of strategies to expand the reach and impact of the company.
Artistic and Education:
- Define the artistic and education vision and strategy for MTC.
- Ensure the artistic excellence of MTC in selecting each season.
- Plan future artistic projects and productions, including those that embrace the company’s commitment to developing new works.
- Build national partnerships in support of new and underrepresented voices.
- Ensure education programs stay relevant to the changing cultural and education needs of the school districts we work with.
- Provide leadership in the development and achievement of the organization’s strategy, financial and program goals.
- Build a strong working relationship with MTC’s Board of Directors, working closely with the Board President and with appropriate committees to carry out the goals of the company.
- Lead staff with a team-building culture and passion for ongoing professional growth.
- Represent MTC locally, regionally, and nationally and build relationships among the arts, cultural and education communities.
Finance and Fundraising:
- Oversee financial budgets to ensure that MTC operates in a financially prudent and sustainable manner.
- Lead the development of strategies that generate revenue and partnerships in support of organizational programs and initiatives.
- Supported by Board members and professional staff, serve as MTC’s primary spokesperson in fundraising initiatives, including donor cultivation and solicitation.
- Identify and nurture working relationships that can advance MTC’s organizational capacity.
Communication and Marketing:
- Provide executive support to develop and deepen relationships and strategies that increase interest, awareness, access, and participation in MTC’s work.
- Serve as MTC’s primary spokesperson.
Desired Skills and Experience:
- A proven track record of artistic leadership in creating exceptional theater and education programs for young people.
- A passion for developing talent and leading a team by fostering a culture of respect, collaboration, joy, and gratitude.
- A commitment to equity, inclusion, diversity, and anti-racism in their work and relationships.
- Demonstrated ability to write and speak persuasively to convey the mission, values, and work of an organization.
- Proven ability to develop and follow budgets to lead an organization in a financially prudent manner.
- Experience in fundraising to deepen relationships with current donors and forge relationships that generate new funding sources and partnerships.
- Excellent skills to inspire a team in the face of opportunities and challenges in a manner that keeps an organization moving forward, constantly focused on opportunity.
Metro Theater Company works in a flexible hybrid environment with offices and rehearsal space in the heart of the Grand Center Arts district at 3311 Washington Avenue, St. Louis Missouri.
- Annual Salary of $100,000
- Benefits package includes access to MTC’s health, dental and vision insurance and MTC’s SIMPLE IRA retirement plan. Paid vacation time including approved holidays and additional personal days.
The search committee is comprised of MTC Board and community leaders who will work in tandem with an outside panel of respected arts leaders.
Application priority deadline: October 2, 2023
Applications received by this date will be given priority consideration. While we will still accept and may consider applications received after this date, you are encouraged to apply by October 2nd.
Virtual interviews will be held by the end of October.
Finalists will be invited to come to St. Louis, Missouri in December for a personal interview and to meet the staff. Travel expenses for this visit will be paid for by MTC.
Metro Theater Company plans to make an offer by January 2024 with the successful candidate beginning by April 1, 2024, to allow for transition of leadership by June 30, 2024.
Please use your cover letter to tell us what excites you about this role, the field of theater for young audiences, as well as your approach to equity, diversity, and inclusion as relates to this position. Please describe how your background and experience prepares you for this position.
Include your resume or CV and three professional references.
Submit this information to: Search@metroplays.org
To view the full job description and learn more about Metro Theater Company please visit: metroplays.org