Education & Engagement Associate
Asolo Repertory Theatre / Sarasota, FL06.17.21
Education & Engagement Associate
A small but mighty department, Asolo Rep Education & Engagement is in the process of building new and artistically rich programming both online and in-person. We are developing accessible and inclusive theatrical experiences with and for artists of all ages, races, genders, abilities, cultures, and communities. We believe that theatre is for everyone and that the arts are a connector and a catalyst for challenging conversations.
The Education & Engagement Associate serves as the artistic arm of the department, working collaboratively with staff, schools, students, and community organizations to create and facilitate unique, responsive, and meaningful arts programming.
- Project Management of specific programs and events such as:
- IllumiNation Series
- Growing Together Series (Family Programming)
- curriculum and community connections for BardWired tour
- Working collaboratively with department director and Artistic department to
- develop and write season and show-based curriculum
- facilitate talkbacks
- develop and produce specific audience engagement events.
- Working collaboratively with Marketing and Artistic departments to develop engaging digital content, such as:
- curriculum websites/interactive production guides
- education-related social media content.
- Providing curriculum and creative guidance for camps and classes.
- Working with Teaching Artists to develop residency and lesson plans in accordance with class descriptions and learning objectives.
- Stepping in as teaching artist or administrator for specific camps and classes when needed.
- Developing and facilitating relationships/programming with schools and community organizations.
- Collaboratively working with Community Cohort as part of the Theatre for All initiative.
- Listen and responsively develop and facilitate programming, trainings, and opportunities based in anti-racism and anti-bias that will make programming and learning environments inclusive, safe, and empowering.
- Being an ambassador for Asolo Rep and an advocate for inclusive, accessible, and equitable arts education in the community, specifically in educational institutions, community and social organizations and consortiums.
- Working with Education & Engagement committee and IllumiNation Committee.
The Associate works with the Education & Engagement Director and Education & Engagement Coordinator. This role has room for deepening of responsibilities as the programming and department grow in our community. Essential Job Responsibilities will be assessed on a semi-annual basis through employee check-ins. These check-ins may allow responsibilities to adjust in order to ensure that the needs of the department and skills of the individual employee are being met.
Transferrable Skills and Knowledge:
- Working knowledge of theatre and theatre education structures.
- Knowledge of the arts classroom and how to construct and adapt lesson plans, residency plans, rehearsal outlines, workshops, etc. based on learning objective, desired outcomes, and artistic expectations.
- Experience as a Teaching Artist working with school systems and/or community organizations is preferred.
- Strong customer service and communication skills, including use of technological tools such as Outlook, Microsoft suite, etc.
- Knowledge of and desire to use digital platforms such as Teams, Basecamp, Google Classroom, Zoom, StreamYard.
- Outstanding interpersonal skills as well as strong verbal and written communication skills.
- A desire to and knowledge of building programs, partnerships, and processes that are inclusive, accessible, and equitable, with a focus on anti-racism and anti-bias.
- A creative problem solver and strong collaborator with a commitment to working towards a safe, welcoming, and empowering environment for all of our programs and all of our students.
- Bonus: background of working with and communicating with families and schools.
We recognize that some candidates feel demotivated to reach out or apply to a position if they don’t fit every qualification of an application. We know that candidates offer skills and abilities beyond those that are listed and encourage you to apply.
Asolo Rep offers benefits that increase along with tenure, including health, dental, and vision insurance, a 403(b) retirement plan and paid vacation and sick leave. The Theatre provides a diverse, congenial, and supportive environment conducive to professional growth.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Asolo Repertory Theatre is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Applicants from populations underrepresented in the theater field are strongly encouraged to apply. All qualified applications will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, familial status, sexual orientation, national origin, ability, age, or veteran status.
ABOUT ASOLO REPERTORY THEATRE
Asolo Repertory Theatre, Florida’s premier professional theatre, is one of the most important cultural forces in the Southeastern United States. A center for theatrical excellence, Asolo Rep stages up to fifteen productions every season, spanning a diverse repertoire of newly commissioned plays, bold reinterpretations of contemporary and classical works, and provocative new musical theatre experiences. OUR MISSION is to engage and inspire audiences with extraordinary theatrical experiences created with vision, passion and artistry and enhanced by deeply integrated education and community engagement programs.
ASOLO REP’S COMMITMENT TO EQUITY, DIVERSITY, INCLUSION, AND ACCESS
Asolo Rep is committed to becoming a more inclusive, diverse, and anti-racist institution at all levels. In order to intentionally address injustice and racism we believe theatre must become a leading force in telling the stories of our time to inform and influence a better future. We will reflect upon our past, investigate our current course of action, and develop a responsive and sustainable plan to break down barriers to access and challenge racism and bias within our institution and our community. To learn more, please go here: https://www.asolorep.org/about/idea
OUR COMMITMENT TO HEALTH & SAFETY
Asolo Rep is committed to the safety and well-being of all of our creative & productions teams, performers, patrons, and staff. We have worked hard to put in place specific measures that will ensure that our experiences are safe and comfortable for everyone. Please click here for an example of the 2020-2021 Terrace Stage Season Patron Health & Safety Protocols: https://asolorep.production.carbonhouse.com/visit/healthandsafetycovid19
How to Apply:
Applications are only accepted though our website portal. Please visit www.asolorep.org, under “About / Work With Us”.