Adventure Theatre MTC / Rockville, MD07.19.21
Position: Education Director
Position Status: Full-time Exempt
Reports to: Executive Director
Salary: $80,000 with exceptional benefits (see below)
Updated: July 8, 2021
Adventure Theatre MTC (ATMTC) is committed to building self-sufficiency within our community through acknowledging and removing barriers both seen and unseen to those who would like to participate in the art of theater.
ATMTC believes fundamentally in inspiring wonder in our audiences, classrooms, work culture and community by combining inspiration and action, paired with a desire to lean into the whimsical. At Adventure, we hope to do as much playing in our work as we do on our stages and in our classrooms, and to never cease pushing the limits of possibility.
ATMTC is the pre-eminent Theater Academy for youth in the DC region with an integrated and nationally renowned professional theater for family audiences. Its mission is to educate and inspire new generations of theater artists and audiences with exceptional theatrical experiences.
The Education Director has a strong educational vision for the academy, an ability to find and train talented teachers, a commitment to racial equity, is equally excited about working with staff, parents, and student artists, brings a contagious excitement to the school, and believes in the importance of developing young performers.
The Education Director works with the Executive Director (EXEC) and Artistic Director (AD) to ensure the viability of the organization via programmatic excellence, operational integrity, financial viability, and strategic initiatives for institutional advancement and sustainability.
The Education Director primarily leads, oversees, and develops the vision, concept, and practical implementation of Adventure Theatre MTC’s Academy. The ED is responsible for growing and maintaining the educational value, quality and activities of ATMTC Academy programs.
The Education Director helps to advance the relationship between ATMTC and various local, regional and national organizations, including government agencies and advocacy groups, community groups and local business, foundations, arts and education organizations.
The Executive Director/Education Director/Artistic Director team presents the public face of the Theatre and may be called upon to speak to private/public organizations and the press. All three are expected to embody and be committed to the organizational values of Equity, Engagement, Innovation, Growth, and Wonder.
The ED reports to the Executive Director and supervises the Associate Education Director, Academy Program Manager, Conservatory Manager, and Heads of Dance, Music, Acting, and Elementary (when applicable), and oversees all Teaching Artists, Instructors, and Academy consultants.
The major responsibilities and duties of the ED include:
- Leads, manages and executes upon the Academy’s vision, with special attention to race equity;
- Oversees the recruitment and retention of students;
- Oversees industry appropriate methods of tracking success of the students and the teachers;
- Ensures regular training and continued education session opportunities for Teaching Artists and Instructors;
- Stays current on local and national trends;
- Stays actively involved and present in the artistic and education communities;
- Oversees the hiring, supervising and evaluating of academy staff;
- Oversees all student placement;
- Oversees all scholarship award allocations;
- Oversees all curriculum and program implementation;
- Ensures compliance with county, state and federal regulations, accreditation rules, affecting educational programs;
- Oversees each class, classroom observations, and working with the individual teachers and instructors as needed; and
Leadership & Institutional Advancement
- With EXEC, AD, and Board of Directors, develops and implements policies that support the mission of ATMTC;
- With EXEC and AD, Grows and maintains positive relationships with all stakeholders, including but not limited to staff, artists, donors, board members, the media, elected officials, patrons, students, parents, business/nonprofit leaders and arts leaders;
- With EXEC and AD, Grows and maintains an active presence in the community, particularly the arts, business and nonprofit communities, in order to represent, advocate for and advance ATMTC;
- With EXEC and AD, ensures appropriate metrics that indicate the organization’s future successes are being set and tracked, and;
- Provides administrative support for the Board of Directors as needed.
- Assists with fundraising;
- Builds a scholarship and financial aid program;
- Assists the Board of Directors, Development staff and EXEC to identify and cultivate new funding sources;
- Participates actively with Major gift cultivation and solicitation;
- Supports special event entertainment, as needed.
- Oversees development of study guides, pre/post show materials, and other companion educational materials;
- Collaborates with AD, on Student productions and other joint programs for students, including but not limited to:
- Master Classes, Kid’s Open Call, exposure/introductions to other DC Theatre;
- Collaborates with AD in creating a culture of professional growth of our theatre artists; and
- Serves as a resource to the AD as needed;
Communications & Finance
- Assists in developing the overall messaging used in the communications plan;
- In coordination with the EXEC and the Director of Communications, creates strategies to meet enrollment goals, and advance the Academy;
- Develops promotional partners to diversify the sources of students; and,
- Oversees the annual academy budget;
- Have a love of working with children and on children’s programming;
- Possess a strong educational vision;
- Ability to lead a collaborative team process;
- Ability in theatre, dance, and/or vocal music.
- Ability to oversee the development of a curriculum;
- Ability to oversee the training and/or teach and provide direction in one or more of the three musical theater disciplines;
- A demonstrated ability to develop and maintain positive and productive working relationships with students, parents, artists, board members, donors, and administrators;
- Excellent verbal, written, organizational and interpersonal skills;
- Ability to get CPR/First Aid certification;
- Willingness to submit to a background check;
- Previous Budget experience preferred;
- Previous fundraising and/or Marketing experience preferred;
- Five (5) years in educational leadership preferred
This is a full-time salaried position with full benefits.
Highlights of our benefits include:
- 100% Individual Health Care Premium
- 100% Individual Dental & Vision
- 403 b Match
- Unlimited Leave
Please submit by any means that you would like (letter, video, video letter, resume, portfolio, etc.) that best represents you and your work. Include and highlight any skills or experiences you think would be most crucial to this position. Feel free to mail, email or drop off your submission.
Email: Leon Seemann, Executive Director, Lseemann@adventuretheatre-mtc.org
Mail or Drop Off: 837-D Rockville Pike, Rockville, MD 20852
No phone calls please. ATMTC is an EOE.