Director of Education
The Magik Theatre / San Antonio, TX07.13.21
POSITION: Director of Education
APPLICATION WINDOW: July 12 – July 26, 2021
Magik Theatre is seeking a Director of Education to lead and manage a comprehensive theatre arts education department by delivering a full scope of programs, classes, community initiatives, residencies, and camps to the San Antonio and South Texas community. The Director of Education will work closely with the Executive and Artistic Leadership and will play a critical role in crafting a new strategic vision for the Education Department at The Magik Theatre.
The ideal candidate must be comfortable working independently while leading a diverse cohort of associates and teaching artists and will ensure that education and learning is woven throughout every aspect of the organization. This position requires someone who is knowledgeable about office and budget management, theatre education, creative youth development programming, the creation of theatre-based curricula, and one who has the ability to positively contribute to an anti-racist and inclusive organization. Applicants for this role should have demonstrated strong leadership, communication, and relationship-building skills. The ideal candidate will have an exceptional respect and appreciation for young people, their families, their educators, and will anchor the work of the Education Department in youth-centered pedagogy. This is a full-time position with occasional evening and weekend hours required.
Magik Theatre is dedicated to storytelling that activates imagination, grows young minds, and inspires creativity. Founded in 1994, Magik has produced more than 250 plays and musicals, employed more than 300 theatre professionals, and played to over 3 million children and families throughout the state of Texas.
The Magik Theatre is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to equity, diversity, inclusion, and justice in our organization and our community, and thus we seek a broad spectrum of employees. We strongly encourage and welcome applicants who are Black, Indigenous or People of Color, as well as those who are from other underrepresented communities to apply.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s Degree in Theatre Performance, Education, Arts Administration, or a closely related field, or five years’ experience in Education or Arts Outreach at a Theatre for Young Audiences or similar organization.
- Background in education and curriculum development.
- Familiarity with state education standards.
- Must submit to a Texas State DPS check.
- An understanding of Social-Emotional Learning best practices.
- An understanding of digital education models.
- Experience in facility operations and CRM software is a plus.
- Intermediate to Advanced Spanish language skills highly desired.
- Demonstrated ability to create partnerships with both educational and community organizations.
- Manages all aspects of the education department including the recruitment, training, evaluation, and management of teaching artists, administration of classes, camps, residencies, and the creation and execution of department policies and procedures.
- Creates or oversees the creation of curriculum guides for teachers for all Magik productions including touring productions.
- Collaborates with the marketing staff to identify educational themes in Magik programming that influences direct marketing campaigns to teachers, parents, and other stakeholders.
- Oversees registration and creation of database reports for all educational programs
- Supervises the recruitment and training of apprentices, interns, and volunteers.
- Manages department budget and is responsible for goal setting and attainment.
- Develops a professional network locally and regionally.
- Partners with teachers, school administrators, district-level fine arts coordinators, and other educational constituents to enhance the arts education experience of students.
- Partners with community–based organizations serving adults and families to promote positive youth development and continuing education programs.
- Develops and implements the curriculum goals and assessment measures for all workshops, residencies, and professional development for teaching artists and educators.
- Provides training and the creation of best practices for all Magik staff who have youth facing positions.
- Collaborates with the development staff to secure funding for educational programming.
- All other duties as assigned.
The starting salary for this full-time position is $48,000 annually. Benefits include employer-paid medical; dental and vision insurance; short-term and long-term disability insurance; life insurance; vacation and sick leave; paid holidays; paid family leave; and a simple IRA retirement savings plan with employer matching contributions.
TO APPLY Please send a cover letter and resume to: Shannon Bishop, email@example.com Magik also welcomes alternative application methods such as video and audio submissions.
Please include Director of Education in the subject line of the email when applying.