Director of Donor and Patron Relations
Birmingham Children's Theatre / Birmingham, AL05.24.21
Birmingham Children’s Theatre
Position: Director of Donor and Patron Relations
FLSA Status: Full Time, Exempt
Salary: $36,000 – $40,000
The Birmingham Children’s Theatre is seeking a Director of Donor and Patron Relations to join our creative and dedicated team. The Director of Donor and Patron Relations designs and executes all outward-facing communication, creating an integrated communications strategy, and is responsible for ensuring that donors and patrons have a welcoming, engaging and lasting experience with BCT.
The position is envisioned as growing with the organization. The ideal candidate has strong strategic and leadership skills, an entrepreneurial spirit, an ability to build relationships, a desire to grow the company, will be able to make a strong contribution to its resource development, and will be able to envision how the position and department might grow with the company.
- Identify new sources of contributed income for the organization, including individual donors, corporate sponsors, and foundations
- Work with the Executive Artistic Director to develop and execute individual donor cultivation strategies such as galas and special donor events
- Oversee communication with individual donors and maintain gift recognition programs
- Coordinate Season Memberships and subscription campaigns
- Work with the Executive Artistic Director to develop sales strategy
- Work with ticketing platforms to add show information, discount codes, and sell tickets
- Assist with booking in-house and touring productions for schools as needed
- Works in the box office during all performances including public performances on some Saturdays
- Manage, train, and lead the Part-Time Usher Team in carrying out their duties
- Follow (and establish when necessary) appropriate procedures for processing subscriptions, processing credit cards, handling difficult situations with patrons, etc.
- Assist the Executive Artistic Director in creating institutional branding and messaging, and programmatic marketing to be delivered to schools and the community at large
- Develop relationships with community groups with special interests in BCT shows
- The Director of Patron and Donor Relations is a key ambassador for the organization in the greater Birmingham community and will partner with the Board and Executive Artistic Director to expand Birmingham Children’s Theatre’s supporters.
- A creative thinker with excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrates the ability to balance multiple projects, meet deadlines, and communicate effectively in a frequently flexible and quick-moving environment
- Ability to work autonomously and as part of a team
- Knowledge of and/or willingness to learn about theatre as an art form
- Proficiency with Google Office Suite and Microsoft Office
- Understanding of ticketing software and processes/best practices is desired
- Experience in special event planning and/or grant writing is a plus
- Must be able to work some evenings and weekends
The Director of Donor and Patron Relations reports directly to the Executive Artistic Director. A Bachelor’s degree is preferred with an emphasis in business, nonprofit administration, public administration, communications or other related field. All offers of employment are contingent upon successful completion of a background inquiry.
START DATE: July 2019
This position will be open until filled.
TO APPLY: Please email cover letter and resume along with a list of three references to the attention of Ashley Woods at email@example.com. Please type “Director of Donor and Patron Relations” in the subject line. No phone calls, please.
Birmingham Children’s Theatre exists to educate, entertain and enrich the lives of children through the magic of professional theatre. One of the nation’s oldest and largest professional theatre companies for young audiences, BCT produces high-quality, professional theatrical entertainment and curriculum-relevant arts education experiences for children and families. For more information, visit www.bct123.org
Birmingham Children’s Theatre is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. BCT is committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills.