Director, Marketing and Communications
Imagination Stage / Bethesda, MD05.21.21
Director, Marketing and Communications
POSITION: Director, Marketing and Communications
REPORTS TO: Managing Director
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
POSITION STATUS: Full Time
Imagination Stage is seeking an experienced Director, Marketing and Communications to be a key member of the senior management team. Reporting to the Producing Artistic Director and the Managing Director, the Director is responsible for cultivating new as well as retaining current customers and patrons for Imagination Stage. The Director proactively creates the organization identity of a company through press releases, securing interviews and any other external communications and is responsible for a budget of $2.6 million in combined earned revenue for the professional theatre and arts education programs.. In the case of an unforeseen issue, crisis or other potentially problematic situation, the director generates communications to maintain a positive image for Imagination Stage. Working with leadership the director is also extremely active in short-term and long range planning for both the department and the organization, and will manage the marketing department.
ESSENTIAL ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
● Enhance Imagination Stage brand and brand trust locally, regionally and nationally through traditional public relations channels.
● Set short and long-term marketing and communication goals and strategies that reflect the goals of the organization, focused on customer retention and sales.
● Work closely with executive staff to develop and implement overall communication strategy, branding, positioning, messaging, and collateral. Participate in content calendar creation.
● Advise on program planning, including season selection, events, and education programs
● Participate in Board meetings and Executive, Education, Community Engagement, and Strategic Planning Task Forces comprised of Board and community members.
● Oversee team of 4-5 full time staff members, including patron services. Provide unifying leadership to spearhead collaborative marketing and communication efforts among team members working across all program areas
● Oversee marketing, customer service, and financial processes with front of house program areas
● Oversee campaign channels and timeline of communication: print and digital advertising, marketing collateral from conception to completion, oversight of the website, blog, social media, email marketing, and stay abreast of new media
● Create and Oversee marketing budgets within the MarComm team (subscriptions, field trips, group sales, single ticket purchases, class and camp registrations)
● With Managing Director, analyze financial impacts of marketing decisions.
● Perform regular reforecasting.
● Oversee robust feedback system of evidence-based evaluation of the efficacy of marketing and programming efforts, as well as customer satisfaction
● Oversee vendor relations
● Oversee digital strategy, including social media, video content, and website
Communications & Business Development:
● Analyze and monitor audience, market share, competitor positions, revenue opportunities, as well as market trends
● Maximize brand presence on various channels (e.g. web, TV and social media)
● Arrange interviews and press releases to promote the organization company and its shows/classes
● Work with board task forces or committees to achieve brand recognition, promotions, press and other community relationships
● Serve as primary point of contact for Press; pitch creative angles to secure advance features and additional coverage for all aspects of programming
● Envision, implement, and oversee audience engagement opportunities including community events and interactive opportunities both in-house and online for patrons and students
● Provide support in emergency messaging creation, distribution, when necessary.
● Proactively develop relationships with local officials and government agencies
● Proactively seek opportunities for Imagination Stage leadership to speak on panels
● Work directly with marketing to ensure Public Relations and Marketing objectives are always aligned.
● Assist with Style Guide updates.
REQUIRED SKILLS, EDUCATION, AND EXPERIENCE:
● Bachelor degree in Communications, Public Relations, Speech, English, Journalism or other related field.
● Minimum five years experience with public relations activities, including promotional campaigns, government affairs, public speaking, special events, publications, or working with television, radio and print media.
● Strong experience in relationship management
● Strong knowledge of media relations, press processes, and social media
● Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communications skills – ability to build consensus across internal and external constituents.
● Experience with CRM software such as Tessitura a plus
● Strong computer skills including Microsoft Office suite required
● Proven ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff, contractors, and the general public
● Experience with communicating multiple messages across multiple channels
● Superior attention to detail with the ability to juggle multiple pressing projects simultaneously
- Annual Salary: $65,000, negotiable based on experience
- 100% coverage for HMO individual insurance
- Paid Time Off: 10 vacation days; 7 personal days; 7 sick days; 16 paid holidays (including employee’s birthday)
- Transit/Parking benefit
- Generous free and reduced priced tickets, classes, and summer camps
Please upload a cover letter and resumé using this form.
Applications must be submitted by Monday, May 31st.
Imagination Stage celebrates diversity and is committed to creating an inclusive workplace that values members of our whole community. We strongly encourage applicants from all backgrounds to apply.