Creative Storytellers for Writer’s Room
Bay Area Children's Theatre / Berkeley, CA06.14.21
Bay Area Children’s Theatre seeking CREATIVE STORYTELLERS to join our Writer’s Room!
We are building a new immersive world for young audiences and looking for emerging writers to join our writer’s room. That’s YOU!
About Bay Area Children’s Theatre
We are imaginative thinkers who collaborate to bring shared experiences to children of all backgrounds, inspiring joy, empathy and creative thinking! We recognize the barriers the children’s publishing industry holds and seek to produce new work through an anti-racist and anti-oppressive lens by employing artists that uphold our values of inclusion and belonging in every aspect of our organization. In our 17 year history, we have served thousands of young people through our award-winning mainstage productions, in school programming, academy classes and special events. Click here for more information on our mission and vision.
Writer’s room duties:
- Will contribute ideas and build out original content for new immersive family musicals performed by professional adult actors
- Will contribute ideas and build out original content for musicals performed by our Academy students
- Will contribute ideas and build out original content for future digital program offerings
- Will contribute ideas and build out original content for potential e-books, podcasts, studio albums, etc.
Ideal candidates have an interest in children’s content creation and working in collaboration with a collective of artists. Has worked in musical theater and/or comedy. And has at least one year of writing, composing, and/or devising new work experience.
- Position: Writer
- Status: Part-time estimated 20 hr/wk
- Location: Partially remote (in person for major events such as Opening Day)
- Hourly rate: $20/hr
- Start: ASAP
- Resume: this can feature your overall work experience, NOT only writing experience
- Personal statement: tell us about yourself, for example, why you want to write for children’s entertainment, how your experiences influence the stories you tell, why you value diversity/representation in theatre for young audiences, etc. If a written response, up to 250 words. If submitting a video or audio clip, no more than 2 minutes.
- Original writing sample: 6-page maximum, it can be an excerpt from a larger piece you’ve written, it must be kid-friendly content for young audiences up to age 12. Samples could include portions of a script, book, essay, article, or blog post
- Optional: Any other material you think would be helpful in understanding you as an artist
- Submit all application materials to Artistic Director Khalia Davis at firstname.lastname@example.org
*While we encourage all types of interested individuals to apply, we see this as an opportunity to identify and increase the presence of underrepresented voices in children’s entertainment writing.