Northwest Children’s Theater (NWCT) / Portland, OR03.17.23
$17.17-$20.19/hr, part-time, non-exempt
REPORTS TO: Managing Director
PAY: $17.17-$20.19/hr, part-time, non-exempt
Northwest Children’s Theater (NWCT) seeks an experienced retail food establishment manager
to build and operate an efficient, thriving concessions program. This work is expected to include
hiring and training concessions workers, managing supply and service relationships with local
vendors, and providing direct oversight of NWCT’s concessions operations. The ideal candidate
has previous experience managing a concessions stand, coffee shop, or similar food service
facility. Applicants should have strong interpersonal skills, a proven ability to problem solve, and
a passion for meeting and engaging with new people.
Duties & Responsibilities:
Manage Concessions Team
- Hire, schedule, and oversee NWCT concessions staff. These will be entry-level staff with potentially little prior work experience.
- Train NWCT concessions staff in the preparation and sale of popcorn (popped onsite), pizza (supplied, pre-cooked, by a third party), soft drinks, candy, and other snacks as well as the tapping of beer/wine for special events.
- Ensure all staff working the NWCT concessions stand are fully trained and have all required certifications.
Coordinate Concessions Ordering & Stocking
- Arrange concessions and supply purchases from a range of vendors, ensuring the NWCT concessions stand is fully stocked by the start of each weekend.
- Work with the NWCT finance manager to track all invoices and order payments.
- Assign staff as needed to supply-runs and pickups.
Maintain Concessions Stand
- Ensure the NWCT concessions stand is kept clear, clean, organized, and stocked.
- Ensure that all concessions equipment is functioning properly and coordinate all regular service and repairs.
- Work with NWCT leadership and front-of-house team to identify new concessions opportunities and suggest changes to NWCT concessions program.
Track Revenue & Expenditures
- Develop a comprehensive understanding of NWCT’s Google Drive filing systems and concessions POS systems (currently Square).
- Work with the NWCT finance manager to provide regular expense and revenue reports to NWCT leadership.
- Maintain concessions records and files.
Participate in All-Staff Activities
- Attend all-staff meetings and regular team meetings.
- Maintain a professional demeanor with NWCT staff, volunteers, and families.
- Be knowledgeable on all building information, show information, class offerings, and special events, and be prepared to provide this information to patrons.
- Represent NWCT at community events.
- At least three years of food-handling experience.
- Experience managing staff.
- A current food handler’s license.
- Willingness to obtain an alcohol service permit.
- Excellent administrative skills and experience necessary to manage systems and workflow processes.
- Ability to prioritize and conduct/juggle multiple tasks while staying detail-oriented.
- Ability to build systems and to troubleshoot problems within digital systems.
- Ability to work independently while working as a member of a team.
- Strong communication skills, including comfort with customer service and talking to strangers.
- Must be able to pass a background check.
- Bilingual or multilingual.
- Experience working with individuals from diverse cultures and backgrounds.
Desirable Personal Values:
- Passion for theater for young audiences and an understanding of the transformative role the performing arts can play in youths’ lives.
- Commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and antiracism.
- Engages in active listening and is sensitive to the needs of others.
- Ability to lift 30 pounds. (Reasonable accommodations will be made for persons with disabilities.)
- Comfortable working around children and families in a loud, fast-paced, nonprofit environment.
- Willing to use personal equipment such as a cell phone and laptop/tablet when working remotely.
Northwest Children’s Theater organizes its concessions schedule around weekend productions.
The concessions manager will specifically focus on supporting Saturday/Sunday daytime
programming and Friday evening programming. On rare occasions, the concessions manager
will additionally need to open the concession stand during the week to support rentals. Ordering,
restocking, prep, and meetings happen during the week on a largely flexible schedule.
Submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Deadline is March 31, 2023. Please
submit documents in PDF format only.