Composer For New Musical
TADA! Youth Theater / New York, New York11.02.22
$2000 and %2 Royalty of the Box Office
TADA! Youth Theater Seeks Composer for new musical
Drama Desk award winning TADA! Youth Theater is seeking a Composer for a new commissioned musical work of no more than 55 minutes with the working title Born Too Short. Dan Elish is the book writer and lyricist of the musical which is based on his book of the same title. TADA!’s musicals are performed by members of TADA!’s free Resident Youth Ensemble (RYET) who are talented NYC and surrounding area young people ages 8 – 18 from all different backgrounds. While the actors are young, the artistic and production staff are all theater professionals.
Born Too Short’s actors will be middle/high school age as the musical takes place in a fictional public NYC middle/high school of today. The book and lyrics of this musical are written and in good shape although some revisions will still take place. The musical has been in development for a couple of years now but the original composer is no longer available to finish the project. We’re looking for a new composer to write the full score which needs to be written for young performers’ voices.
TADA! Youth Theater is committed to building and fostering a diverse and inclusive workforce that is representative of our vastly diverse youth in our RYET and school programs. Priority will be given to candidates who are dedicated to anti-racism and share our mission and vision above. Candidates from underrepresented racial or ethnic groups, people with disabilities, and LGBTQIA+ individuals are encouraged to apply.
Composer gets a Commission Fee of $2000 and 2% royalty of the box office.
For more information on TADA!, please visit our website at www.tadatheater.com
PROJECT GOALS AND SCOPE OF SERVICES: The composer will be responsible for all duties typically assigned to a composer on a new musical for young people. Including, but not limited to:
- Collaborating with the playwright/lyricist, Creative Team, Executive and Artistic Director, and TADA! Staff on the creation of the musical.
- Creating and arranging original score (songs and underscoring) for a band of piano, drums and one other instrument.
- Meet deadlines. TADA! would like to produce the world premiere during the FY24 or FY25 seasons therefore we’re looking at getting this completed quickly with the next draft delivered to TADA! no later than April 30, 2023 and a final draft date to be determined. Composer must understand that revisions will be happening throughout the development and rehearsal process, but no revisions will be made without the approval of the Composer.
- Create a written score for the Musical Director which includes: piano score with a bass line and a vocal line with lyrics. Best if composed in a program where keys can be adjusted as needed
- We’re looking for diverse, yet catchy, melodies that not only move the plot forward, but will also engage and excite the young performers and the family audience. It’s of utmost importance to write something that resonates with the audience.
- The ideal composer will have a deep appreciation and enthusiasm for the organization’s mission, vision, and values as well as a passion for and interest in youth theater.
TADA! is an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, or veteran status. We are actively looking to expand our staff with BIPOC candidates.
To apply, please email your cover letter, resume and composing samples (sheet music and recordings of songs with singers) to Javier Cardenas at firstname.lastname@example.org and include the words Composer for New Musical in the subject line.
OUR VISION: TADA!’s vision is that all young people grow up feeling successful, creative, confident, accepted, and accepting of themselves. Through the ability of people learning to express themselves well we can break down barriers of racism and inequality and create positive, active citizens.
OUR MISSION: TADA! Youth Theater’s mission since 1984 has been to provide young people from different social, racial, economic, and cultural backgrounds with musical theater programs that inspire them to learn, be creative, and think differently through high-quality productions, positive youth development, and arts education programs. TADA! is a unique, Drama Desk award-winning nonprofit youth theater that produces original musicals for children, teens, and family audiences. TADA! offers a free, year-round, pre-professional training and a positive youth development program, RYET, for the Resident Youth Ensemble (ages 8-18); musical theater classes/camps for the public; as well as musical theater residencies in NYC schools and community centers. Through TADA!’s high-quality work, young people’s self-confidence and creativity are enhanced. They also develop advanced skills in leadership, communication, responsibility, collaboration, and problem-solving – skills that help with growing up and are essential to their success both in school and in life.
- Musical Theater Passion
- Unique Programming
- Artistic Excellence
- Empowerment and Leadership
- Arts for All
- Culture of Growth
- Nurture Creativity
Please visit our website for individual descriptions of our values.