Chief Executive Officer
Space on Ryder Farm / Brewster, NY04.07.21
Chief Development Officer
LOCATION: Brewster, New York REPORTS TO: Executive Director
STATUS: full-time SALARY: $80,000 – $90,000 annually
SPACE on Ryder Farm, a nonprofit residency program and organic farm, seeks its first full-time Chief Development Officer (CDO) to join the team at a critical moment in the life of the organization. After eleven years, SPACE’S Co-Founder and Executive Director, Emily Simoness, will be stepping down from the ED role this September. The Chief Development Officer will be a critical part of this transition, working closely with the Executive Director to steward individual relationships with SPACE’s existing donors and serve as the point person for foundations both during the transition and after. The role’s other chief responsibility will be event creation and execution. A key leadership team member and active participant in executing strategic decisions for the organization, the Chief Development Officer will work closely with SPACE’s senior leadership and the organization’s Board of Directors to usher the organization into its next phase which will focus on the organization’s anti-racism commitment, implementation of it’s Strategic Plan and financial sustainability. Throughout the transition the Chief Development Officer will work with SPACE’s current Executive Director, Interim Executive Director and finally the organization’s new Executive Director. This position is responsible for all fundraising and development activities. Areas of responsibility include:
- Cultivation and Fundraising Events
- Government Giving
- Corporate Partnerships
- Individual Giving
- Board Development and Giving
- Foundation Giving
INDIVIDUAL & BOARD GIVING
- With the Executive Director identify, cultivate and steward major gift prospects;
- Work hand-in-hand with senior leadership to manage relationships during the Executive Director transition;
- Work closely with the Board of Directors and support Board members as they take on a more active fundraising role;
- Manage individual donor portfolios.
FOUNDATION, GOVERNMENT & CORPORATE GIVING
Design, implement and manage foundation, government and corporate giving strategies;
Approve all foundation, corporate and government grant proposals;
In coordination with the Chief Operating Officer, oversee the Development team on budgeting and tracking of contributed revenue, and the creation of budgets and financial materials for grant proposals and reports;
- Work with the Development Committee of SPACE’s Board of Directors to craft the vision for SPACE’s annual event calendar;
- Responsible for the creation and execution of fundraising and cultivation events throughout the year;
- Responsible for meeting, tracking and reconciling revenue goals for the organization’s events.
MANAGEMENT AND STRATEGY
- Responsible for establishing and implementing the infrastructure needed to grow the organization’s operational budget through major gifts, grants, special events, corporate and foundation support;
- Responsible for designing and implementing development strategies that enhance SPACE’s visibility and financial resources;
- Monitor and report development progress to the Board of Directors on a quarterly basis;
- Manage the development team and the department’s goals and operations, including managing performance;
- Oversee annual development campaigns including mid-year and end-of-year appeal.
- 3-5 years of nonprofit leadership and/or development experience
- Tangible experience of having expanded and cultivated existing donor relationships over time
- Familiarity with principles of diversity, equity, inclusion and anti-racism and dedication and enthusiasm to ongoing training
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral; ability to influence and engage a wide range of donors and build long-term relationships
- Proven leadership experience with a flexible, adaptable style
- Ability to work independently without close oversight, but also excited by the opportunity to contribute and work with a larger team
- Experience with CRM (customer relationship management) software
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and projects simultaneously
MORE ABOUT THE POSITION:
SPACE on Ryder Farm is an all-hands-on-deck grassroots organization. The Chief Development Officer should be flexible, dexterous, eager and able to support in a multitude of ways. The position will begin remotely and, pending COVID-19, will report to SPACE’s Brewster, New York, offices beginning in May of 2021. Position is provided a health insurance stipend and paid time off. SPACE observes a biweekly payroll. Start date is as soon as April 5, 2021.
To apply please send a resume, cover letter and one page writing sample to email@example.com with the subject line 2021 Chief Development Officer. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and accepted until the position is filled, so we encourage interested applicants to apply as soon as possible.
ABOUT SPACE ON RYDER FARM
SPACE’s values are equity, inclusion, support and radical hospitality. Our core values lead us to seek a broad range of perspectives and backgrounds to achieve our mission and to maintain an inclusive environment. As an equal opportunity employer we are committed to employment practices that ensure employees and applicants for employment are provided with equal opportunities without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information or any other factor that is not related to the position.
SPACE strongly encourages individuals from marginalized and underrepresented groups to apply. SPACE on Ryder Farm is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.