Associate Director of Early Childhood
The Rose Theater / Omaha, NE10.13.23
Starting at $40,000
Job Title: Associate Director of Early Childhood
Supervisor: Director of Early Childhood
Classification: Exempt, Full-time
Company Description: Operating out of a beautiful historic theater, The Rose is one of America’s largest theaters for multigenerational audiences. Utilizing a company of full-time teacher artists, The Rose creates professional productions & world-class theater instruction in creative dramatics, acting, dance, & voice. Our 910 seat house is home to 8 professional mainstage productions each season & The Rose opened a new 27,000 square foot education studio in 2020. We are radically dedicated to financial accessibility, embodied in our Membership Program which effectively reduces cost as a barrier to attendance, as well as our Every Single Child Program which reaches more than 60,000 young people each season at no cost to most schools. Omaha is ranked by Forbes as the 7th best city in America to raise a family & by Wallet Hub as one of the 20 best cities based on affordability, education & health, quality of life, & safety.
Job Summary: Responsible for teaching classes, workshops, and residencies at the Theater, schools & in the community. Responsible for directing youth theater and artistically contributing to main stage productions and school tours. Complete administrative & leadership tasks connected to area of expertise/interest in special education. Collaborate with Director of Strategy and Community Impact to make programming accessible for people of all abilities.
Essential Job Duties
- Create lesson plans and teach classes, workshops and residencies for Early Childhood program (students ages 14 months to eight years old)
- Observe/mentor teaching artists fellows and interns.
- Identify and help train contract teachers for Early Childhood program and Accessibility Classes.
- Assist with scheduling and school communication for the Early Childhood program.
- Direct petite youth theater show.
- Supervise Early Childhood interns, volunteers, and part-time staff as necessary.
- Operate within the approved annual budget under the supervision of the Director of Early Childhood and Director of Education.
- Observe, teach and/or provide support for classes with students with access needs.
- Collaborate with Director of Strategy and Community Impact on accessibility needs for education programs, grant management and community partnerships.
- Administrative and leadership responsibilities assigned dependent upon experience.
Other Job Duties
- Attend all necessary meetings, including Education, and all-staff meetings.
- Work flexible schedule depending on production/class needs.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Director of Early Childhood & Education Director.
Education, Training & Experience
- B.A. or B.F.A. Early Childhood / Special Education Generalist K-12.
- Experience as a special education and preschool teacher in a school environment minimum of two years.
- Experience training teachers/ aides.
- Experience directing young actors.
- Teaching experience with wide range of ages, cultures, ethnicity, & backgrounds.
- Experience using drama to teach curriculum topics.
- Problem solving & customer service skills.
- Strong communications skills & the ability to work with a wide variety of people.
- Time management & organizational skills to prioritize tasks & assignments.
Skills & Abilities
- An understanding and commitment to Anti-Racism and Anti-Oppression principles and practices.
- Ability to meet all deadlines.
- Basic computer skills including a basic knowledge of Google drive.
- Ability to interact & communicate effectively with employees at all levels within the organization.
- Act as a representative of The Theater always, providing excellent customer service to members, patrons, vendors, staff & students.
- Maintain current certification in CPR/1st Aid.
Physical Demands and Working Conditions
- Ability to stand or kneel for extended periods of time.
- Must be able to lift at least 10lbs.
Salary & Application Instructions
This is a full time, exempt position. Relocation support will be provided. Benefits include Life, Health, Dental, & Vision Insurance as well as 401K plan & paid time off. Children of employees may enroll in education programs free. Salary starting at $40,000.
The Rose Theater is committed to diversity across our artistic & educational output as well as within our staff & leadership. BIPOC candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
We ask for a resume, cover letter or video introduction, & sample lesson plan for prek/early childhood students for this application. Applicants may also submit any material that represents their work & passion for this job. This material can include a video, a letter of interest, a video letter, resume &/or portfolio. The Rose is committed to reflecting the diversity of our community & enriching our insights into how to best serve our city’s young people, so we ask you to also share ways you imagine bringing a commitment to equity, diversity & inclusion to your work.
Please submit your materials thru this form: https://forms.gle/n1qUNMBQUWuN6gxaA
If you have questions, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org & include Early Childhood Application in the subject line.
Applications being accepted until October 24, 2023 with an anticipated start date of January 3, 2024 or a negotiable date.