Assistant Technical Director
Imagination Stage / Bethesda, MD05.10.21
POSITION: Assistant Technical Director
REPORTS TO: Technical Director
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
POSITION STATUS: Full Time – hours are variable. Will include some weekends, evenings and holidays. Must be present during all load-ins, tech weeks, strike, and annual gala.
Imagination Stage, located in Bethesda, MD, is hiring an Assistant Technical Director. The Assistant Technical Director is responsible for assisting the Technical Director in the execution of all technical aspects of Imagination Stage programming in order to ensure the safe, efficient, and timely production of all events. The Assistant Technical Director will also assist the Technical Director with the daily operations, supervision, delegation of duties, and administration of the Scene Shop.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assist with the planning, evaluation, scheduling, implementation, engineering and supervision of all scenic elements involved in organization programming.
- Collaborate with the Technical Director to ensure that all projects are completed on time and within budget.
- Construct, load-in, and strike scenery and set pieces, through carpentry, welding, rigging, work with plastics, fabrics, and other set related materials in accordance with plans provided.
- Assist in creation of shop working drawings for execution of designs using Vectorworks.
- Supervise staff, part-time carpenters, technicians, apprentices, interns and volunteers in conjunction with the Technical Director.
- Work with the Technical Director to ensure safe, organized, and efficient working areas in all Imagination Stage scene shops, theatres, and production storage areas.
- Maintain tools and equipment in said locations, and assist in making physical improvements as necessary.
- Assist with purchasing of scenic materials and supplies.
- Oversee and maintain stock scenery and shop supply inventory as needed.
- Maintain scene shop storage and offsite storage areas.
- Coordinate and facilitate all truck rental needs and logistics. Typically serves as primary truck driver.
- Serve as emergency technician outside of regular hours in order to assist with the prompt resolution of show-related incidents, and ensure the production can safely proceed.
- Fill-in for the Technical Director in their absence, in coordination with the Production Manager.
- Lead certain projects as needed, in coordination with the Technical Director.
- Other duties as assigned.
Ideal candidates will have experience working in a professional theatre environment, with previous experience as an Assistant Technical Director preferred. Candidates with equivalent experience in carpentry, welding, or construction environments are encouraged to apply.
- Expertise in carpentry, rigging and welding, using standard theatrical construction techniques.
- Demonstrated ability to understand and create informative and well-organized working drawings using Vectorworks.
- Demonstrated attention to detail, while meeting deadlines.
- Demonstrated ability to take and follow direction.
- Supervisory and training experience required.
- Experience operating box trucks (up to 26’ in length), or a strong willingness to learn.
- Valid DOT Medical card preferred.
- Strong understanding of shop safety and PPE usage.
- Excellent in-person, email, and phone communication skills.
- General computer skills, including Microsoft Office products and Google Workspace.
- Familiarity with CNC router programming and operation.
- Working knowledge of stage machinery such as motors and pneumatics.
The physical conditions described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Able to walk and/or stand for long periods
- Ability to lift, push or maneuver up to 50-70 lbs. repeatedly alone, and up to 100 lbs. with others.
- Ability to climb stairs and ladders.
- Ability to work in high places such as catwalks and scissor lifts.
- Valid driver’s license and able to safely operate a motor vehicle (up to 26’ box truck)
- Ability to successfully obtain a DOT Medical Card.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job, and are in line with those of the live performance industry. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Work will take place indoors in office, warehouse, and stage settings, with occasional outdoor work in all weather conditions. Lighting conditions vary from dim/dark to very bright and ambient sound levels can vary from very quiet to loud, with variations in duration.
- Salary Range: $36,000-$40,000 (depending on experience)
- 100% coverage for HMO individual insurance
- Paid Time Off: 10 vacation days; 7 personal days; 7 sick days; 16 paid holidays
- Transit/Parking benefit (paused until onsite work resumes)
- Generous free and reduced priced tickets, classes, and summer camps
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org using the subject line “Last Name: ATD Application.” This email should include a resume and portfolio/work samples that demonstrate proficiency in the above requirements. You may also include a cover letter, references, or other materials that support your candidacy.
This position has a start date of July 1, 2021.
Imagination Stage celebrates diversity and is committed to creating an inclusive workplace that values members of our whole community. We strongly encourage applicants from all backgrounds to apply.