Adventure Theatre MTC / Glen Echo, Maryland04.02.19
Position: Artistic Director (AD)
Position Status: Full-time Exempt
Reports to: Executive Director
Adventure Theatre (ATMTC) is committed to dismantling structures that may prevent ALL people from applying for employment with us.
ATMTC celebrates the glorious richness of our world by cultivating Equity, Diversity, and Inclusivity as they inspire the creativity that nurtures great art, artists, and audiences.
ATMTC is the pre-eminent Theater Academy for youth in the DC region with an integrated and nationally renowned professional theater for family audiences. Its mission is to educate and inspire new generations of theater artists and audiences with exceptional theatrical experiences.
The Artistic Director is a creative force that people are drawn to. They believe in the power of Theatre for Young Audiences (defined as patrons 0 – 99), have a commitment to development of new works, is equally excited about working with professional and student artists, and has a commitment to racial equity.
The Artistic Director works with the Executive Director (EXEC) and Education Director (ED) to ensure the viability of the organization via programmatic excellence, operational integrity, financial viability, and strategic initiatives for institutional advancement and sustainability.
The Artistic Director primarily leads, oversees, develops, and implements the vision, concept, and practical implementation of Adventure Theatre MTC’s theatrical productions. The AD is responsible for growing and maintaining the aesthetic value, quality and activities of ATMTC programs.
The Artistic Director helps to advance the relationship between the Theatre and various local, regional and national organizations, including government agencies and advocacy groups, community groups and local business, foundations and arts organizations.
The Artistic Director/Executive Director/Education Director team presents the public face of the Theatre and may be called upon to speak to private/public organizations and the press. Both are expected to embody and be committed to the organizational values of Education, Creativity, Excellence, and Nurture.
The AD reports to the Executive Director and supervises the Director of Production, and oversees all production/artistic employees and consultants.
The Major responsibilities and duties of the AD include:
- Selecting Professional and Student Productions
- Overseeing the procurement of rights, contracts and appropriate licenses for all programming;
- Facilitating the development of new works;
- Staying current on local and national trends;
- Staying actively involved and present in the artistic community;
- Directing, Choreographing, or Writing at least one production per season;
- Directing, Choreographing, or Writing additional shows as needed;
- Hiring, supervising and evaluating key artistic and production staff;
- Overseeing the selection of directors, designers, and stage managers;
- Approving all casting; and
- Overseeing each show and working with the individual directors as needed.
Leadership & Institutional Advancement
- With EXEC, ED, and Board of Directors, developing and implementing policies that support the mission of ATMTC;
- With EXEC and ED, Growing and maintaining positive relationships with all stakeholders, including but not limited to artists, donors, board members, the media, elected officials, patrons, students, parents, business/nonprofit leaders and arts leaders;
- With EXEC and ED, Growing and maintaining an active presence in the community, particularly the arts, business and nonprofit communities, in order to represent, advocate for and advance ATMTC;
- With EXEC and ED, ensuring appropriate metrics that indicate the organization’s future successes are being set and tracked, and;
- Providing administrative support for the Board of Directors as needed.
- Assisting with fundraising;
- Assisting the Board of Directors, Development staff and EXEC to identify and cultivate new funding sources;
- Actively participate with Major gift cultivation and solicitation;
- Directing special event entertainment, as needed.
- In collaboration with the ED, the AD oversees student productions;
- Assist ED, in coordinating joint programs for students, including but not limited to: Master Classes, Kid’s Open Call, exposure/introductions to other DC Theatre; and
- Serve as a resource to the ED as needed;
Communications & Finance
- Assist in developing the overall messaging used in the communications plan; and,
- Overseeing the annual production budget;
- Must be a creative force that people are drawn to
- Have a love of working with children and on children’s programming;
- Possess a strong artistic vision;
- Candidates from all theatre arts disciplines welcome (Directors, Actors, Designers, choreographers, playwrights, etc) ;
- Ability to lead a collaborative team process;
- A demonstrated ability to develop and maintain positive and productive working relationships with artists, board members, donors, and administrators;
- Excellent verbal, written, organizational and interpersonal skills;
- Previous Budget experience preferred;
- Previous fundraising and/or Marketing experience preferred;
- Five (5) years in Artistic leadership preferred
This is a full-time salaried position with full benefits. Highlights of our benefits include:
- 100% Individual Health Care Premium
- 100% Individual Dental & Vision
- 403 b Match
- Unlimited Leave
To Apply: Please submit by any means that you would like (letter, video, video letter, resume, portfolio, etc.) that best represents you and your work. Include and highlight any skills or experiences you think would be most crucial to this position. Feel free to mail, email or drop off your submission.
Email: Leon Seemann, Executive Director, Lseemann@adventuretheatre-mtc.org
Mail or Drop Off: 837-D Rockville Pike, Rockville, MD 20852
No phone calls please. ATMTC is an EOE.