5-12th Grade Academy Program Supervisor
First Stage / Milwaukee, WI03.20.19
FIRST STAGE is committed to dismantling structures that may prevent ALL people from applying for employment with us. FIRST STAGE celebrates the richness of our world by cultivating Equity, Diversity and Inclusivity as they inspire the creativity that nurtures great art, artists and audiences.
FIRST STAGE is an equal opportunity employer and as such, we consider individuals for employment according to their abilities and performance. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, age, religion, color, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, physical or mental disability, marital or veteran status, or any other classification protected by law.
About First Stage
First Stage is Milwaukee’s premiere non-profit theater for young people and families and has grown from a small theater group to a nationally acclaimed company drawing annual audiences of more than 135,000 people. With a season including five family series plays, two First Steps shows, 2-3 Young Company Performance Projects and our Foundry New Play Development series comprised of one full production and four readings (more than 300 performances annually), First Stage has become one of the largest programs in the nation. First Stage offers arts-in-education programs, spending more than 2,000 hours annually in classrooms throughout southeastern Wisconsin, and the First Stage Theater Academy, a professional theater training program teaching “life skills through stage skills” to 3,000 enrollments of young people ages 3 – 18 each year. It is one of the largest and finest programs of its kind in the nation. For more information about First Stage visit www.firststage.org.
Position: 5-12th Grade Academy Program Supervisor
Status: Exempt, Full-Time
Reports to: Academy and Education Director
Supervises: 5th-12th grade Teaching Artists
Ideal Contract Start: May 2019
Academy Program Manager
The 5-12th Grade Academy Program Supervisor’s primary objective is to implement and manage First Stage Academy 5th – 12th grade programming at our home base in the Milwaukee Youth Arts Center and our satellite sites. The 5-12th Grade Academy Program Supervisor works closely with the K-4th Grade Academy Program Supervisor as well as the Academy/Education Director to maintain and assess current Academy programming and develop new programming; train and supervise teaching artists to ensure progressive curriculum that is at the highest level of artistic excellence, and mindful of developmental stages of young people; and develop and maintain relationships with students, families, and teaching artists at all of our Academy sites. The 5-12th Grade Academy Program Supervisor teachers in the Academy as needed, is present during Saturday school year classes, and maintains communication with the Education Program Manager on cross-departmental programs.
· Works in partnership with Academy Administrative Director to manage day to day operations
· Trains and supervises both Resident Teaching Artists, and adjunct Teaching Artists working with grades 5-12th in the Academy – including summer teacher trainings, class observations, one-on-one teacher meetings, and other ongoing communications with teaching artists throughout school year sessions.
· Expertise and experience in actor training for young performers grades 5+ desired
· Develops and assesses Academy programs with Academy Director, and monitors Academy curriculum.
· Works with the Education Program Manager to develop cross-departmental programs, and supervises the implementation of these programs.
· Teaches in Academy programs.
· Ability to maintain a positive work environment by communicating and behaving in a positive manner with all artists, staff, and stakeholders from a variety of experience levels and backgrounds
· Bachelor’s Degree in Theatre, Masters preferred
· Minimum 5 years relevant teaching and management experience
· Demonstrated ability to develop and work within approved budget
· Ability to identify and resolve problems in a timely manner and gather/analyze information skillfully
· Ability to work well in group problem-solving situations
· Ability to work under pressure on a variety of different projects
· Strong written and verbal communication skills
· Strong diplomatic and leadership skills
· Excellent oral and writing skills
· Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite
· Ability to regularly work Saturdays
· The person in this position will experience periods of prolonged stationary position, will consistently operate a computer and other office productivity equipment
This job description reflects management’s assignment of essential functions, it does not prescribe or restrict the tasks that may be assigned.
First Stage offers a mission you can stand behind, excellent benefits and a positive work environment. First Stage provides a competitive benefit package that includes but is not limited to the following: year-round health/dental/vision coverage, generous healthcare reimbursement arrangement, life insurance, short term and long term disability as well as a 403(b) plan. Salary is commensurate with education and experience.
Send resume and cover letter to Julia Magnasco, Artistic Director, at 325 W. Walnut St, Milwaukee, WI 53212 or email email@example.com by April 15th, 2019. No phone calls, please.