Nantucket Dreamland / Nantucket, MA05.23.19
Technical Design Director – JUNE, 2019
The NANTUCKET DREAMLAND AND DREAMLAND STAGE COMPANY ON NANTUCKET ISLAND, MA IS CURRENTLY ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS FOR THE POSITION OF TECHNICAL DIRECTOR.
The Nantucket Dreamland and Dreamland Stage Company seeks to educate, entertain and engage audiences of all ages through professional theatrical productions and arts education programming. We fulfill our mission through educational programming and performance.
Position Overview: The ideal Technical Director (TD) is a skilled theater professional who is highly knowledgeable in all aspects of scenic construction, is familiar with lighting, sound and AV, and will effectively navigate the complexities of a multifaceted work environment with an ambitious production calendar. The Technical Director is responsible for overseeing all technical/scenic operations of The Dreamland Stage Company and Dreamland productions, including lighting, sound, props, set design and construction. The Technical Director maintains technical spaces and equipment and develops and enforces practices that ensure safe, efficient, and effective operation of the scenic operations of The Main Stage, The Studio Theatre and The Harborview Room. The role directly supports the success of the scenic operations for all Main Stage productions, 2 summer productions, and touring productions. The Technical Director reports to the Executive Director, and works alongside the Director of Theatre and Education and in conjunction with the Production Stage Manager. The Technical Director assists in identifying and prioritizing needs and initiatives, finding creative solutions to achieve goals while conserving resources.
● Maintain and safeguard all technical assets of Dreamland facilities, including lighting, sound and communications equipment.
● Determine technical needs for all productions – technical specifications, schedules, budget and assisting in determining stage crew sizes. Order materials and manage scenic design budgets. Coordinate the stage and equipment logistics; including the loading and unloading of trucks with crew. Work with the carpenters and designers to determine build and maintenance schedules. Hire and supervise over-hire technicians.
● Approve designs with regard to safety, compatibility, feasibility and scheduling considerations. Create technical drawings and plans and oversee and build sets. Coordinate transportation of scenery to and from the theaters, coordinate the load-ins/strike and storage all sets, props, lighting and sound equipment after the end of the shows.
● Advise the members of the production team on technical aspects of each theatrical project.
● Supervise and assist in the technical aspects of all shows, establish technical schedules for all productions; attend technical rehearsals. Ensure safety.
● Maintain technical spaces and equipment in the shops and theater spaces; monitor the condition of equipment and perform preventive maintenance; inspect equipment on a regular basis; develop a replacement and upgrade schedule for tools and equipment and arrange for the repair and replacement within budgetary constraints. Work with the Dreamland Team to orient facility users to the safety, technical elements and other areas of the facility’s operations. Create and maintain inventories of technical supplies and equipment. Oversee the process of checking scenic elements in and out for rentals.
● Develop and enforce practices that ensure safe, efficient and effective operations of all theater facilities.
● Make recommendations regarding capital purchases of technical equipment. Knowledge/Skills:
● Bachelor’s Degree in Technical Direction with experience in a professional or educational environment, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
● Working knowledge of techniques, methods and procedures of theatre, dance, and music productions and presentations including stage, set, sound and lighting design and implementation; stage management; computerized lighting systems; appropriate safety precautions and procedures and ability to analyze and evaluate the need for technical support for various events and performances.
● Working knowledge of PC and Mac based productivity software, as well as functional familiarity with industry standard theatrical software and ability to learn other software as needed.
● Excellent problem solving and communication skills, both written and oral. Establish and maintain effective working relationships with various groups.
● Valid Driver’s License.
● Able to lift, push or pull objects up to 100 pounds using appropriate tools, safely climb stairs and ladders, and use lifts.
● Able to maintain a flexible work schedule, which may include irregular and extended working hours.
Compensation & Benefits:
● Salary range: Competitive
● Health benefits available, partially subsidized by employer contributions, after a waiting period
● 401(K) retirement plan participation available, after a waiting period, with eligibility for an employer match after one year of credited service
● Generous paid holiday schedule
Please submit CV, Resume, and a minimum of three references who may speak to your skills and abilities and overall aptitude in the field to email@example.com.