Metro Theater Company / St. Louis, MO04.02.19
Position: Managing Director
Reports to the Board of Directors. Works collaboratively with Artistic Director Julia Flood who also reports to the Board of Directors.
About Metro Theater Company
Metro Theater Company is a 46-year old theater that serves a diverse, multi-generational audience through mainstage and touring productions, interactive programs in schools, and award-winning arts education programs.
Based in St. Louis, Missouri, the Theater enjoys local, regional and national partnerships with many for-profit and non-profit organizations, and with urban, rural, public and private schools. Core to the Theater’s mission is a decades-long commitment to developing and producing new and innovative works for young audiences.
An integral part of the arts community in the Greater St. Louis region, the Theater has an engaged and collaborative theater staff of 10, a strong Board of Directors and a committed Emeritus Board.
The Theatre is located in the vibrant Grand Center Arts District of St. Louis, an area that includes music, food, and 60+ arts and cultural institutions.
The Mission Statement of Metro Theater Company
Inspired by the intelligence and emotional wisdom of young people, we create professional theatre, foster inclusive community, and nurture meaningful learning through the arts
Responsibilities of the Managing Director:
- Provide leadership for administrative and operational aspects of the Theater including financial management, fundraising, marketing and communications
- Develop and strategically expand the Theater’s financial position especially in anticipation of the upcoming 50th Anniversary in 2023
- Build and strengthen the Theater’s relationships and partnerships
- Represent the Theater to the community at large as well as with government agencies, business and educational organizations, foundations, and arts organizations
- Drive the Theater’s branding, communications and marketing efforts
- Engage local, regional, and national organizations and individuals in the work of the Theater
- Build and nurture a dynamic team of theater professionals
- Work closely with the Artistic Director to support the artistic and educational vision of the organization.
Qualifications – A strong candidate will have the following qualifications:
- A commitment to equity and inclusion
- A passion for the role of the arts in our communities
- A minimum four to five years of demonstrated non-profit leadership and management in theater, the performing arts, or arts administration
- Enthusiasm for fundraising and demonstrated fundraising success
- Respect for young audiences
- Strong financial management skills
- Excellent verbal, written, organizational and interpersonal skills
- Ability to develop productive working relationships with board members, donors, administrators, artists, and the broader community
- Enthusiasm for collaboration and inclusion, and an eagerness to be part of the Theater
- Computer skills including Word, Excel, CRM and fundraising management software
- Bachelor’s Degree; Master’s Degree a plus
Metro Theater is an equal opportunity employer. All interested individuals are encouraged to apply. Applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age, or national origin.
Application Deadline: May 15, 2019
Submit cover letter and resume, with the subject line: Application for Managing Director. Submit to MDSearch@Metro.Theater
Questions about the position should be sent to the same email address with subject line: Questions re: MD position