Director of Community Partnerships
Madison Youth Arts Center / Madison, WI12.09.20
Madison’s Youth Arts Center (MYA) is seeking two positions: Director of Community Partnerships and Director of Facilities to serve as co-leaders for this new facility. Both positions report directly to the Board of Directors.
The search committee will be accepting applications for both positions until they are filled but to receive first consideration, please apply by December 31, 2020. Ideally, candidates will be available to start by February 15, 2021. To apply:
- Send a cover letter specifying for which position you are applying and highlighting your qualifications, a resume, and three references (contact information only; no letters needed) to email@example.com. Thank you for sending this information as one .PDF document.
- Questions or clarifications needed? Please use firstname.lastname@example.org to reach out.
MYA is an equal opportunity employer where all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, disability, age, genetic information, veteran status, ancestry, or national or ethnic origin.
We value diversity and inclusion and seek to build and maintain a community and culture that celebrates and values diverse backgrounds, identities, and perspectives. We consider equivalent combinations of experience and education for jobs, and all candidates who believe they possess equivalent experience and education are encouraged to apply.
MADISON’S YOUTH ARTS CENTER (MYA)
After years of dreaming for a permanent, youth-focused, high-quality home for youth arts providers in our community, a lead gift in October 2018 by Pleasant Rowland and an incredible partnership with Stone House Development has pushed this idea to reality. Set to open in summer 2021, the facility will provide youth arts providers space to affordably and comfortably do their work now and for decades to come.
OUR MISSION: Ensure opportunities for young people to express themselves, discover the arts, and create connections. Serve as home for the Children’s Theater of Madison and Madison Youth Choirs.
OUR VISION: By 2025, the Madison Youth Arts Center will be recognized and valued as a vibrant community space. Youth from all backgrounds will explore, create, and connect through an array of impactful arts programming that evolves with the mission of those who call the center home.
Discovery: We celebrate activities that nurture young people’s curiosity, bring together youth from diverse backgrounds and create community through the exchange of ideas.
Inclusion: We welcome all young people to experience the arts and we strive to foster a sense of belonging among all involved.
Collaboration: We pursue connections that create shared experiences, cultivate insight, and inspire growth.
A $35M fundraising campaign is nearly completed with just $1.5M left to raise. With this campaign we are fully funding the construction and furnishing of the building; establishing a permanent endowment for long-term capital expenditures; and most importantly, committing $5-6M for an access fund that will enable the center to operate while providing affordable, accessible space to youth arts program providers from throughout Madison. In short, the access fund supports a long-term business plan that is NOT dependent on the budgets of non-profits who are already under-resourced.
Director of Community Partnerships
Salary Range: $60-85K
Benefits: Full benefits package
Under the direction of the Board of Directors, the Director of Community Partnerships will share leadership of Madison’s Youth Arts Center, Inc. (MYA) with the Director of Facilities. The Directors will work together as equal partners to collaboratively set the organization’s vision, and steward its mission to ensure opportunities for young people to express themselves, discover the arts, and create connections. Both Directors will lead with warmth, authenticity, and openness, implementing the organization’s commitment to inclusion, exploration, and collaboration in serving diverse young artists and the organizations that support them (including anchor partners, Madison Youth Choirs and Children’s Theater of Madison). The Director of Community Partnerships will hold primary responsibility for ensuring MYA’s programming continuity, overseeing center communications and marketing, cultivating relationships with underserved communities, and supporting arts program partners to implement proven practices at the center.
Preferred number of years and type of relevant work experience:
- 7 years, minimum, of experience working in youth arts, youth arts education, or youth development
- 5 years, minimum, of experience in organizational leadership or program management
- Demonstrated network of contacts in arts, education, and community building within Wisconsin and nationally
The Director of Community Partnerships shares leadership of the following areas with the Director of Facilities:
- With the Board of Directors, develop and foster the organization’s mission and vision
- Co-cultivate a positive organizational culture, supported by the organizational structure, that welcomes diversity, inspires creativity, and fosters community and the exchange of ideas
- Pursue a strategic approach to organizational and budgetary planning guided by foresight for opportunity, a love of youth arts programming, and proactive approaches to civic engagement
- Together with the Board, anchor partners, and others, serve as an ambassador for MYA in the community
- Co-lead hiring and human resources with an emphasis on cultivating diversity and providing growth opportunities for all center staff
- Engage in and oversee fundraising, including cultivating donor relationships and eventually serving as co-supervisor for MYA’s Development Specialist (yet to be hired)
- Lead the planning and implementation of an equitable, inclusive, and expanding use of the MYAC facility by the anchor organizations and community program providers, including overseeing the scheduling/booking of space
The Director of Community Partnerships has primary leadership of the following areas:
- Collaboratively create pathways for MYA to cultivate relationships with community program providers, arts and education leaders, and the business community
- Ensure that MYA programming aligns with the organization’s mission and is based on arts education, youth development and community development best-practices
- Actively steward long-term stability and an ever-strengthening position of capacity for anchor and community partner programming
- Foster program continuity through the development and oversight of program/event evaluations, programmatic themes, MYA toolkits for partner programs, and so on
- Engage in and oversee strategic communications and related contractors (and staff, as MYA grows)
- Engage in and oversee marketing and related contractors (and staff, as MYA grows)
- Lead and supervise administrative support/reception staff
- Communicate challenges and opportunities to the Board and staff with integrity, transparency, and openness
- A collaborative, transparent, team-oriented approach to work
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- The ability to successfully coalesce multiple strong personalities and opinions
- Strategic thinking with vision and strong attention to detail
- Demonstrated success developing and cultivating relationships with diverse stakeholders and guiding diverse and varied staff with skill and sensitivity
- The ability to be a trusted, calm decision-maker and problem-solver
- An entrepreneurial spirit, with demonstrated desire and ability to find innovative ways to sustain and expand an organization and its initiatives
- Experience leading and motivating teams of staff and volunteers with an assured and inclusive sense of purpose
- Interest or experience in establishing budgets, and (co-)leading financial and organizational planning
- Excitement for considering new ideas and pursue deeper understanding of unfamiliar insights
- Grant-writing experience a plus, but not required