‘Boji Bantam Theatre Director
Okoboji Summer Theatre / Okoboji, Iowa05.03.19
The Okoboji Summer Theatre in Okoboji, Iowa, seeks a rising star in the TYA arena to join the OST team as its ‘Boji Bantam Theatre Director for the 2019 season. The ‘Boji Bantam season includes 4 plays and musicals utilizing the student company of OST from Stephens College and selected interns hired for the summer. The production season runs 9 weeks from June 1 – Aug 3.
Required Education: BA or BFA,in Theatre with an emphasis in Directing and/or Theatre For Young Audiences. (Can be a current student if graduating by May of 2019)
Preferable skills – Knowledge and experience with technical and design elements; ability to manage a team. This is a position for a highly creative and inventive theatre person. The ‘Boji Bantam has an outstanding local following.
Salary: Competitive with travel, housing, and meals.
Expectations/Things to Know:
- Casting will be provided for each production by the OST Artistic Director.
- The ‘Boji Bantam Director will direct all 4 of all Bantam plays and musicals which have been selected by the OST Leadership Team.
- Choreographer – A cast member may be assigned as a choreographer or as a dance captain.
- Works with Production Stage Manager to provide overall scenic, props, lighting and sound design for each Bantam show.
- Technical work in Bantam – it is expected that the majority of technical work be incorporated into each show’s rehearsal schedule (typically one session per day). New dimmers and controller were added in 2018.
- Sound – Works with Production Stage Manager and show cast to create and implement Sound Design for each show. Main stage Theatre shares gear and stock sounds as needed. Sound system includes laptop computer, Qlab and Sound Studio software.
- Costumes – We often have Stephens College student costume design majors assigned to Bantam shows. When this is not possible, director will need to work with Production Stage Manager and cast to pull and create costume design for show. There is some support from the main stage costume shop and the Bantam has a basic supply of costumes.
- Works with Production Stage Manager to manage and maintain Boji Bantam facility (dressing room, booth space, restrooms).
- Works with Production Stage Manager to manage and assist with Strike and changeover of each production.
- Attends Senior Staff and Production meetings – Thursday mornings/Friday afternoons
- Attends and reports at Company meetings – Sunday evenings
- Press events/interviews may be required.
- Outreach visits to libraries and the local summer camps as scheduled.
- Production Stage Manager will function as Sound and Light Op for all productions.
- Director works with House Manager, at each performance, to insure all patrons are easily and safely seated.
- Performance Support: House Manager and Concession/ticket manager will be assigned for each performance.
About Okoboji Summer Theatre:
For more than 60 years, the Okoboji Summer Theatre (OST) has presented more than 550 plays to an audience of 1.5 million. A thousand young actors, 500+ professional faculty and 2,000+ guest artists have dedicated every waking moment to pulling off each production, accounting for over 40,000 exhausting hours of rehearsals.
In 1958, the theatre started with nine Stephens students and 11 faculty members; today it is recognized as one of the longest running summer stock theatre programs in the country. It has entertained summer audiences in the lakes Region of Iowa with high-quality, sold-out shows.
OST is owned and operated by Stephens College. Advanced theatre students in the Stephens College School of Creative and Performing Arts spend their final summer at OST gaining valuable professional experience.
To apply please send resume and/or CV along with a cover letter to:
Stephen Brotebeck, Artistic Director