Academic Year Virtual Teaching Artist
Children's Theater of Madison / Madison, WI08.25.20
Academic Year Virtual Teaching Artist
Children’s Theater of Madison (Madison, WI)
CHILDREN’S THEATER OF MADISON (CTM) Academic Year Classes is looking to expand and diversify our teaching artist roster for Academic Year classes. CTM seeks Teaching Artists who are committed to transforming the lives of young people through the theatre arts. We hire theater professionals who are passionate about sharing their skills with young artists, and create a positive, supportive environment. We strongly encourage BIPOC artists to apply.
INCLUSION STATEMENT: Inclusion is at the core of CTM’s policies, programs, and people as we engage in creating an environment where all feel welcome, valued, and connected. As part of our work in making theater inclusive, we oppose acts of cultural appropriation and character depictions that deepen existing racial and cultural divides.
The CTM community celebrates visible and invisible differences in identity, gender expression, age, culture, ethnicity, race, sexual orientation, physical ability, learning style, religion, occupation, nationality, immigration status, socio-economic status, and life experiences that span these differences.
About the Program:
CTM’s Academic Year classes offer students an opportunity to gain training in acting, build confidence, work as an ensemble, exercise their imagination, and perform. Our Academic Year classes are virtual classes (which typically run one hour) held over Zoom that occur on Saturdays and Weekday evenings for students grades 4K-12. All programs culminate in a sharing for family and friends.
Dates of Programs Available:
- One Hour classes on Saturday mornings and/or early afternoon October-December, Jan-March, & March-May
- One Hour classes on Weekday evenings October-December, Jan-March, & March-May
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Host Zoom meetings for classes to take place (using CTM’s Zoom account)
- Submit supplemental materials needed for program ahead of time so they can be shared with families.
- Ensure curricular goals for the class are met through exercises, games, activities and performance experiences
- Create Weekly Lesson Plans and a Curriculum Outline for the Program and choose materials that align with the program theme as needed (ie: books, videos, slide shows, visual aids, special materials needed for projects, etc.)
- Lead a class that is engaging, interactive, educational and fun!
- Create a warm and collaborative virtual classroom environment.
- Ability to take initiative and produce results
- Ability to meet deadlines for lesson plans
- Punctuality and Reliability
- Experience teaching theater (in a school, theater or educational setting, 1-2 years preferred)
- Enjoys working with young people
- Has Access to Internet
- Excellent Communication Skills
- Ability to create a positive, safe and supportive environment for every child
- Ability to utilize effective and positive classroom management strategies.
Salary Range: For programs between September and June, the pay is $30-$50 an hour.
To Apply: Send a resume/CV and sample lesson plan to firstname.lastname@example.org with the title “Teaching Artist Application”
MISSION STATEMENT: The mission of CTM is to create vibrant theater experiences that engage, educate and inspire young people and their communities.
HIRING STATEMENT: Children’s Theater of Madison is an equal opportunity employer. We will not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion (creed), gender, gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, in any of its activities or operations. We will take affirmative action measures to ensure against discrimination in employment, recruitment, advertisements for employment, compensation, termination, upgrading, promotions, and other conditions of employment. We are committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all members of our staff, clients, volunteers, subcontractors, and vendors.